table structure (1 Viewer)

thereclinerman

Local time
Today, 15:49
fairly new user access 2016 i am building a db for work orders. i plan on having a items, components, customer, and a table for the completed item. the items can be composed of serveral components and the components themselves can be used as items. when the order comes in, it would list the items needed and entered with the customers order number. . when the work order is printed, i would need for the items to be broken down into componets. what would be the best table structure to use juction table, done with queries, etc? thanks for any help

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:49
I would suggest that you use the Search feature found in the ribbon at the top of a page. On that ribbon, Search is third from the RIGHT end. You can do simple or complex searches that include titles as well as particular words in the thread bodies.

This topic has come up many times. What you are describing where you have a thing in the database AND have its components as well, we refer to as an "assembly" (among many other terms). Look up some threads involving inventory of components or inventory of assemblies.

I'm also going to point out that while we can make all sorts of suggestions, the truth is that our advice, being free, is worth what you pay for it. We can give guidelines, ideas, suggestions, or point to sample databases. In the final analysis, though, it will be your project and will have to conform to your site rules - which we might never be able to fully know and understand.

In order to have a comprehensive list of things that you can develop into a report from different levels of assemblage, you might look into having a UNION query that shows you all assemblies plus all individual items that go into those assemblies. Depending on what level of detail you want to show in your reports, your UNION might end up with a lot of fields that appear to be useless (for things that are not an assembly). But that can be OK in proper context as long as you know and expect such things.

This sounds a bit vague, I know, but it is a side-effect of the nature of your problem. You have the specifications in front of you. We don't.

thereclinerman

Local time
i had searched for bill of materials (bom) and nothing showed up. will do the search for assembly. thanks for the help and advice.

thereclinerman

Local time
would like to thank everyone for the help and advice. still working on it and learning. .:banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom