a bit one sided? (1 Viewer)

emcf

Local time
Today, 13:08
anyone got any opinions on this EU/US aviation deal?

bbc link

US airlines will get access to the EU domestic market but EU airlines will not get access to the US domestic market. why does this not surprise me? the more i live the more i realise that when dealing with the US it is a one way street.:mad: another example of the US giving it so called allies the rough end of ths stick.

i don't think the EU should have signed this deal unless the US was willing to go quid pro quo.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 05:08
agree

but the US is one Country - where as Europe is 16+
I don't think the US can compete on prices

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
But why are the EU giving away bits without anything in return. Its the dumb clucks in Brussels that are at fault not the US

So this guy says to me. "You give me something and I give you nothing" and I agree !!!!!. I am the fool.

L

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 05:08
If the US wants to pay over the odds for air travel - by not allowing foreign competition - thats the US consumers problem.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 08:08
I'm guessing that in the long run air travel will become even less expensive for you all - Even though you fly for nothing now compared to us! %$!*# :(

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:08
But why are the EU giving away bits without anything in return. Its the dumb clucks in Brussels that are at fault not the US

So this guy says to me. "You give me something and I give you nothing" and I agree !!!!!. I am the fool.

L

whose the more foolish the fool or the fool who follows him?

R

Rich

whose the more foolish the fool or the fool who follows him?

Well the fool that's following the fool that's leaving office soon doesn't fool anybody, but the alternative fool doesn't look anymore attractive, but he'll fool enough fools to get a following:mad:

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
I think the issue has been at Heathrow Airport in Britain...or however you spell it. No US Planes have been allowed there ever...just EU planes. I think this dates back to a deal in the 1970's when Britain wanted to keep out competition...or had to do with something along those lines possibly with unions.

Now that the deal is getting ready to expire that have redone the contract...

I read or heard something on the news about this...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Nope, you are so wrong, the Heathrow issue is about who can fly the lucrative Heathrow - US routes They are BA, Virgin Atlantic, American Airlines and United Airlines(I think), which is why Britain got no support from the EU for its stance on the open skies policy (IMHO). I'm not sure how its going to work since nobody has to give up their current slots at Heathrow which is operating at 98%.

brian

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Nope, you are so wrong, the Heathrow issue is about who can fly the lucrative Heathrow - US routes They are BA, Virgin Atlantic, American Airlines and United Airlines(I think), which is why Britain got no support from the EU for its stance on the open skies policy (IMHO). I'm not sure how its going to work since nobody has to give up their current slots at Heathrow which is operating at 98%.

brian

Yea that sounds more like what I heard...it was the routes. I was way off on that one...
:D

emcf

Local time
perhaps a 'green' way of looking at it is as follows -

would the reduction in carbon emssions from travellers not having to to travel so far to reach airports more than offset the increase in carbon due to more flights across the atlantic?

i'm not sure, although it may just move congestion (both air and ground traffic) from major airports to the smaller ones.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:08
US airlines will get access to the EU domestic market but EU airlines will not get access to the US domestic market.

I think this is a bit shortsighted. The deal made will provide various (new) European and American carriers to enter the Europe/US market. Looking at current partners ( e.g. KLM-AirFrance-NWA) who are dominating the market with extreme high prices, the intention of the deal would allow for low priced competators to enter this market. This will be benifical to all of us and would break the sort of monopoly position of the alliences of NWA, Delta, KLM, Lufthansa and such.

I intend to do a trip to Canada this summer and have shopped around. The lowest price Amsterdam -Toronto vv has now dropped to some € 300 pp and hopefully will even go lower in the next months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom