Connecting to a DB on a webserver in Excel (1 Viewer)

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Today, 15:24
Hi,

Is it possible to create a recordset from a db on a webserver if you know the ip address and the path to the db?

I'm struggling to provide some complex graphing using vbscript in an ASP page so i wondered if i could create a package in Excel that would connect to the database from the clients PC.

Any help greatfully received.

TS

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Hi,

Access 2003. I found some stuff on Ip connections for SQLServer but i've only just got a copy of SqlServer Express - read still learning - and i'm loathe to redeploy the DB and do redo all my code to work with it just for the sake of the graphs.

TS

Code:
oConn.Open "Driver={SQL Server};" & _
           "Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;" & _
           "Address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;" & _
           "Network=DBMSSOCN;" & _
           "Database=myDatabaseName;" & _
           "Uid=myUsername;" & _
           "Pwd=myPassword"

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
I can't seem to find "Wizard" method to do this. However, do you have any help from the person maintaining the database at the other end? You could get them to export the data you need somewhere on the web and then just use that (the Excel "HTML Data Import" looks very interesting...

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Hi

The data is on my webserver i've got full access to the server. I want to be able to distribute an Excel app that will let remote - i.e. not part of our intrannet - users access the data they are inputting via the website in the form of graphs in Excel on their desktop. I've tried all sorts of methods with DSN's etc but no joy. I've written an asp page that creates graphs but they are not sophisticated enough for my data. I'm currently looking at .net charting but that's a whole load of new stuff to learn and i've not really got the time at the mo.

TS

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
In that case, can you make a HTML report with all the data you need in a table and use the "New Web Query". Can you get all your users to install the Office Web Components, then create a DAP page with the graphs on? Can you export data as XML, so people can import this into Excel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom