Creative minds: how do we renumber with a query? (1 Viewer)

connie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:08
Hi all!

I have a bunch of tables that have numbered data (but not Autonumbers). Oftentimes line items need to be removed. If I have to remove #50, for example, I then go back in there and re-number everything from 49 on manually. Is there an update query way to do this that I might tie to a command button that anyone can think of?

More extensively, there are subtables so if you clicked on Line #50 the subdata for that item would appear (linked by a hidden primary key). I would have to renumber all that as well. Needless to say I've been doing a lot of manual work!

If I had a starting point I think I could run with it...

Thanks!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Hi all!

I have a bunch of tables that have numbered data (but not Autonumbers). Oftentimes line items need to be removed. If I have to remove #50, for example, I then go back in there and re-number everything from 49 on manually. Is there an update query way to do this that I might tie to a command button that anyone can think of?

More extensively, there are subtables so if you clicked on Line #50 the subdata for that item would appear (linked by a hidden primary key). I would have to renumber all that as well. Needless to say I've been doing a lot of manual work!

If I had a starting point I think I could run with it...

Thanks!

What exactly does this number link to? If you are renumbering, I can't imagine it's being used in queries to tie data together or your historical information would be hosed. I guess I'm just trying to understand the purpose of this field and even needing to go in and renumber. If it's for sorting, why renumber at all?

VBA can give you what you are looking for, but I'm just confused on what you are trying to do.

connie

Registered User.
Local time
What exactly does this number link to? If you are renumbering, I can't imagine it's being used in queries to tie data together or your historical information would be hosed. I guess I'm just trying to understand the purpose of this field and even needing to go in and renumber. If it's for sorting, why renumber at all?

VBA can give you what you are looking for, but I'm just confused on what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the response, Vassago :) Nope, it's not tying the data together - that is done by a hidden Autonumber primary key that's unchanging.

The answer is a long one, I'll try to make it short. There are numbered items that need to be inspected. If one fails, I'm told "#5 failed" and that's how I locate it. If one is mistakenly on the list or on the wrong list, I might get "#4 needs to be deleted," and then I end up with a list of 1,2,3,5,6,etc. I'm expected to just renumber the list when one is removed so that there are not number gaps in there and 5 becomes 4, 6 becomes 5, on and on.

Where the problem comes into play is that I get sent these lists back when items on there are tweaked (date change or something) from the local Excel versions employees keep (that don't have my hidden primary key or any unique fields, so numbering is all I can go by). So when I run my query to find unmatched items for making the updates, everything from #4 on would show up as unmatched because #4 has been deleted from my Access table but the returned Excel list numbers consecutively, so #4 is really the old #5, etc.

So in essence, this numbering is not used to link data in the Access version, but it IS used as the common denominator when I'm reimporting data.

The whole thing is an unfortunate situation but these list items have no unique fields themselves when I receive them so it was the best work-around I could use to tie anything together at all.

connie

Registered User.
Local time
Hi all...just wondering if this is not possible to do? I just Googled "renumber query access" to try and research more on my own and the first result was this post. :eek: Hopefully we can figure this out so if someone in the future wants to know how to do this there'll be answer on this post. In the meantime I'll keep looking on my own...

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 05:08
You could use this function:

Code:
Function RenumberTable(strTableName As String)
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Dim lngCount As Long

Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM " & strTableName & " ORDER BY FieldWithNumberHere"
lngCount = 1

Set db = CurrentDb
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

With rst

Do Until .EOF
   .Edit
   .Fields("FieldWithNumberHere").Value = lngCount
   .Update
   lngCount = lngCount + 1
Loop

rst.Close
Set rst = Nothing

(Air Code - Untested)

And you would call it like

RenumberTable "TableNameHere"

or

Call RenumberTable("TableNameHere")

connie

Registered User.
Local time
Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately I just finished renumbering a ton of them manually, but I should have more later today or Monday and I'll update this thread with how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom