New customer management system (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
Prima facie, it appears that you have normalized your tables. You have blended all of your products into a single table, with brands and brand-based discounting. Your customer cards are covered as well.

Now, however, you will find yourself floating for a bit. The reason is that YOU are the project expert, so unless you have specific questions, you will have to work somewhat on your own. This doesn't mean we aren't here - but it does mean that in the absence of a question, we don't have an answer. (They kind of go together...)

You DID take our advice. It shows. You have started on a process for adding new or updating old customers. The details of that are up to you.

I might have played with moving the relationships around in the window to put all the "ONE" sides to the left and all of the "MANY" sides to the right, where possible. (Obviously, sometimes that is NOT possible.) The relationship drawing algorithm lets you do that and is pretty good about it. I should add: That grouping of ONE sides and MANY sides is a personal visual preference that DOES NOT indicate you did anything wrong. But if you try it, it is possible that you will see different factors about the relationships you have defined. Sometimes things like that "click" and sometimes they don't.

MarkusPalsson

Local time
Yesterday, 18:53
All right Doc Man, thanks. I just wanted to know I was headed in the right direction before I dug deeper. As I said, I'm new to this.

My first objective was to investigate wether it was possible or not to realize this project within MS access. The second was to have a solid set of tables and a solid plan before going into details, to avoid spending valuable time running in the wrong direction.
I guess the first two parts are done, so details are the next stop. I'll probably return soon with some VBA related questions, but first I'll try to do a bit of research and trial and error.

Best Regards,
Markus

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
I'll address the implied questions:

1. This IS possible within Access. No question. No doubt. But (there's ALWAYS a "but") you have to imagine it. We aren't in the business of writing it for you because only you know the ins and outs of your business model. But is it possible? Resoundingly yes.

2. By building tables and understanding how they relate to your business, you are building a solid plan to go with what you are trying to accomplish. By normalizing as many of us suggested, you curtailed that issue of "running in the wrong direction." You aren't done yet, and we all understand that "trial and error" bit. But when you have a specific question to ask, even just a "which of these X ways is better?" type of question, we are here.

I'll add a note here: You are building a model of your business in the microcosm that is MS Access. You are abstracting properties, values, and methodology into your computer corresponding to the real world business model that you would have used if all you had was ledger books and accountant's analysis pads. Just remember that if you ever come into a conflict between your business and your Access model - the business is always right. You NEVER let the model run your business. You only want the model to TRACK your business. Never let the tail wag the dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom