S-Q-L or SEQUEL? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:06
SQL spelled S Q L and for convenience pronounced SEQUEL. Just as BASIC is pronounced as the five-letter word but really means Beginner's All-purpose Sequential Instruction Code. Just as FORTRAN stands for Formula Translation. Just as COBOL means Common Business Oriented Language. Just as ALGOL is the Algorithmic Language. But NOBODY pronounces anything like the original long name any more.

The only modern ones that are correct are ADA and PASCAL (named after mathematicians) whose names were Ada Lovelace and Blaise Pascal, and of course, C, which got its name because A and B versions didn't work out so well. (No, not kidding.)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:06
I say SEQUEL generally.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:06
I've be known to call it lots of things---I suppose SQL and Sequel were in there somewhere ---especially in mixed company.

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 20:06
I'm on the S - Q - L side. It's just one of the 19 high-tech words I'm aware of.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:06
Strangely I would say SQL, but if I see SQL Server I read it and would say sequel server.:confused:

Ranman256

Local time
both. like:
koo-pon & Qpon.
caramel, Kar-mel
On-velope, En-velope

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And just for historical perspective, it was originally introduced by some vendors as Sequential Query Language. Not all of the vendors called it that, but some did. Others called it Structured Query Language. I think the "structured" version of that name lasted longer before everyone just started calling it SQL.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I say both, depending on audience and topic.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
From Bill:
It is more commonly known by its acronym, SQL, and is pronounced both as "ess-cue-ell" and as "sequel".
https://docs.microsoft.com/is-is/sq...ed-query-language-sql?view=azuresqldb-current

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe. Whichever I hear, I come up with the same mental picture. Whichever way I hear sql, it makes no difference to me. It's usually quite obvious which way a writer intends to use it as it's either "..write AN ess-q-ell ..." (an sql) or "...write A seequel" (a sql). I don't get how anyone can get bent out of shape over this, but apparently it happens.

enix

Local time
Today, 03:06
Learned to pronounce it as "sequel", however, have also heard it pronounced, S-Q-L, both are descriptive enough to know what is being discussed.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:06
SEEQUEL , Just because it seems right. And most people seem to understand it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not to mention that it seems to make a good verbal contraction of that name that a FEW vendors used, "Sequential Query Language" (admittedly, more used the "official" version with "Structured Query Language").

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom