Opinions please... (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:04
Oh and by the way, that isn't me selling clogging stuff, that's a customer of mine, not that there's anything wrong with a good clog, it's just not my bag baby. :D

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 11:04
I think the first you should do before putting the site out there for critique is to take the time to ensure that the page validates as per the specified DOCTYPE. In this case, the page is specified as HTML 4.0 Transitional and, as such, there are six validation errors. Luckily, these are easy enough to fix up fast. (You CSS might warrant a look also.)

The first thing that I noticed was a slight punctuation error on the home page. "PB Designs has clogged it's way..." - there should not be an apostrophe here.

Regarding the home page, I'm not convinced there's enough interesting information there. The two paragraphs of copy would be better suited to an About page. On the home page you want to make the products available first and foremost. If you have any special offers (...of the day, ...of the month, etc.) then get them on there. Also, you want to extend the Products[/i] section of the navigation menu to your actual products rather than an expandable header. This gives your viewers a better idea of what sort of thing you're selling at a glance...rather than reading the second paragraph of copy.

And, while on the subject of the navigation panel, I don't like the colour scheme just suddenly becoming a white background of empty space.

There's a disembodied phone number at the top of the screen in a bar all of its own. It doesn't even say it's a phone number and just reads like a set of random numbers. The only reason I know it's a phone number is because you've repeated it again in the proper contact panel.

What the site is missing, in my opinion, is information. There's no FAQs regarding delivery, there's no Enquiries section, no information about shipping, and there's no privacy policy.

I'd probably stick the 'what is clogging' section on a page of its own and provide more search optimised copy detailing the answer.

The big thing that I would change is the coding of the site. There are plenty of instances throughout where attributes are given to div dags and more - these should ideally be in the CSS file. Tidying up this would provide cleaner HTML. To go a step further, how about XHTML?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:04
Noticed something odd in Firefox (1.5.0.6) is that the expanding main frame doesn't display properly, It's a little hard to describe (and can't post image from here - will do it later from home if you need it) but basically it does not display the bottom edge of the frame, the white background continue's past the bottom without displaying the frame edge.

Probably something to do with the fact you've use Office* to create the 'skin' - is that right ??

* A Microsoft product hense never full compliant to the rules :p

Oh BTW liked the site but I totally agree (as I'm doing one as well) there needs to be a terms and conditions section, faq etc.

And there is also a number of javascript errors, mainly to do with unknown properties for cursor, _cursor, filter, solid

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom