How to make a text box scrollable but not editable? (1 Viewer)

RSW

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:55
Hello,

I have the following code, which displays some non-updateable information in a text box.

Code:
document.write("<table> <tr><td class='cellTitleRow' align='center' >PLAN</td></tr>");
   document.write("<tr><td>");
   queryObj.setParam(2,1);
   var worked = cmdApp.executeCommand();
   var currentText;

if (worked) {
      currentText = cmdApp.getValueByName("DESCR",1);
   }
   else {
      appletExecutionError("Can't retrieve information from Database", document.cmdApp);
   }

document.write("<TEXTAREA ROWS=4 COLS='72%' disabled=true>"+currentText+"</TEXTAREA>");
   document.write("</td></tr> </table> <br>");

The problem is that the scroll bar is greyed out on the box. If I remove the "disabled=true" statement near the end of the code, I do get a working vertical scroll bar--but then the text within the box can be modified. I don't want that.

Is there some way I can activate the scroll bar, but still leave the text greyed out?

Thanks in advance...

RSW

Registered User.
Local time
Interestingly enough, the code box above is sort of like what I want to do. Scroll bar is active (although I want a vertical one, not a horizontal), and yet the text can't be edited.

Is there some way to modify my own code to accomplish this?

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 18:55
locked=true

edit: forgot you want it greyed-out. you might have to do it with colours. or perhaps you could use a mousedown or mouse click event to keep people out. but i don't think that's what you want to do.

RSW

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks...

With locked=true, I get the scroll bar, but I can still type in the field.

With locked=true disabled=true, I get the same situation described in the first post.

Is there any way to have the scroll bar but not allow typing?

RSW

Registered User.
Local time
locked=true

edit: forgot you want it greyed-out. you might have to do it with colours. or perhaps you could use a mousedown or mouse click event to keep people out. but i don't think that's what you want to do.

Oh, I don't care about the color. I just want users to be able to use the scroll bar, but not modify the field contents. It doesn't need to be greyed-out as long as this is accomplished.

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 18:55
hi. will readonly still give you the scrollbar? (edit: just tried it and it works: readonly="readonly" ).

Last edited:
Reactions: RSW

RSW

Registered User.
Local time
That didn't quite work, but readonly=true does! Thanks!

AngelaP

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah readonly is good trick such as :

<input type="text" readonly>

AngelaP

Registered User.
Local time
<input type="text" readonly>

That's a good trick too!