Facebook Data Scandal - dystopia of Orwellian Surveilance State or Tech Evolution? (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:53
Did Facebook violate its own privacy policy for profit on a massive scale? Or, is this an acceptable trend?
Tech companies have claimed they can not be regulated or made responsible for the technologies they use. Even if they leak personal data, the "agreement" release them from liability.
Is it time to hold Corporate Executives and Stockholders financially responsible for violation of contracts or perhaps violation of social contracts?
Germany is calling for Facebook to be held responsible. The US Federal Trade Commission, FTC, has launched an investigation.
Is it time to investigate Facebook? What level should Facebook be held responsible? Is this a violation of basic human rights or just an acceptable trend for the future of mankind using technology?
Today, a major on-line Travel Booking firm announced a "data breach" exposing customers travels, credit and personal information. They "apologized" and suggested users change passwords and like so many other data breach claim they have no financial responsibility or regulatory responsibility.
Political or corporate personality profile gathering and use goes back to the 1930's where government funding at US universities created joint ventures with the German government for political and social enrichment. Today, Cambridge University received grants from the Russian government to research "stress, health and psychological wellbeing in social networks."
Cambridge Analytica and its London-based parent company Strategic Communications Laboratories gathered data from over 50 million Facebook profiles to predict the behavior of American voters, according to investigations by
The New York Times and The Guardian. It also gives indications that other political and corporate organizations could be exposed.

Witness a Corporation's (e.g. Target, Volkswagen, Samsung ....) ability to hold a single "technical worker" or "engineer" completely responsible for a massive data breach or "data entry" for international events. Quality Assurance programs are no longer considered necessary as executives in technology companies are held harmless. Is holding the technology workers fully responsible a solution?
During the new technology of the Industrial Revolution, company executives were held harmless for failure to spend money on safety. A safety guard for a spinning wheel or fire exit plan was an avoidable expense. The basic safety regulations didn't appear until company executives and stockholders were held responsible.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
Today I saw that Zuckerburg had released a statement to the effect that they realize now that the data that got out shouldn't have gotten out. They trusted Cambridge Analytics company - unwisely, it seems. He said they were going to review their data sharing policy in an attempt to prevent this in the future.

As to your question, I think it is clear that a disconnect occurred between FB and Cambridge Analytics. As to whether it is legal or not will probably depend on the problem of what was in the contract through which the data sale was made.

The thing about "hold harmless" contracts is that they can be challenged. Not always successfully, but the negative publicity is enough to make some execs cringe anyway.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:53
The reason FB and a lot of other apps are free, its not so you can chat with your long lost buddy from High School. They repackage your information and sell it. Shhh don't tell anyone. The only thing free, is the cheese that's in the trap.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Zuckerburg's lame apology didn't cover the gravity of the situation.
His actions of trust with no liability insurance or bonding is right up there with any company that lost credit card data.
In the case of Target, they had all financial operations in a company in India.
Later they announced they "fired" one US worker as part of the "apology".
I had a lot of money taken out of my bank account that caused other problems.
Eventually, meaning around 40 hours of my personal time, I did get my money back.
If you paid me and trust me with your child, and I want to pop down to the pub that doesn't allow children. I leave your child with the local vagrant, perhaps a teary eye "I am really sorry for your loss" is acceptable?
At this point "who else did you trust" is not even a Facebook question.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Campaign reporting, including company assets, is required and limited.
This kind of activity is nothing like a registered lobbyist.

Does Facebook INC feels they can use corporate resources to be directly involved in politics? The mythical Russia election influence is nothing next to Facebook's power, control and wealth.

is Facebook the Corporation using company assets to directly interfere in Elections?

Friend just sent this about Facebook:
First, the social media giant was caught red-handed without any question suppressing news from selective political sources.
Then, FB failed to protect the personal data of nearly 50 million users.
But it looks like these shenanigans were just the opening acts.
Because Facebook is now being accused of trying to RIG a crucial Missouri Senate election.
According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Missouri U.S. Senate candidate Austin Petersen is FINALLY back on Facebook after an eight-day ban.
In fact, Facebook had initially banned him for 30 days… for asking people to support the 2nd Amendment.
The news exposed Facebook’s chief operating officer, Sheryl Sandberg, has contributed the maximum allowed, thousands of dollars to Petersen’s challenger — Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.

Now, there seems to be proof that Facebook unfairly interfered in a federal election.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:53
Who cares?

Facebook is American rubbish, if you don't like it then delete it. It's obvious data is always used / sold for commercial purposes. That's life these days.

It's like serial killers - you'll never stop it.

Col

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
LOL I just hope Rubbish on this side of the Pond means the same as your side.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:53
LOL I just hope Rubbish on this side of the Pond means the same as your side.

Americans would say garbage or trash, I think. Not words used in correct English.

In fact, I've just put our rubbish out on the pavement, the bin men come on Fridays.

Anyway, with Facebook, what does Mark Zuckerwhatsit care, he's already a multi-billionaire.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
Anyway, with Facebook, what does Mark Zuckerwhatsit care, he's already a multi-billionaire.

Col, I have to agree with you. Past a certain amount of money, there is a sense of indifference. Perhaps brought out by excessive pride of accomplishment bordering on megalomania. Not my primary field but we see so many people here whose wealth makes them feel invincible and it a nearly uniform type of arrogance among those who take this attitude. Hollywood actors also do this using their fame as an excuse for thinking that their ideas must be inclined sharply towards Godhood.

Interestingly enough, one other group I can name has that sense of invincibility. When I was in Fort Worth for several months while our New Orleans site was being repaired (due to damages by Hurricane Katrina), I met a few Navy test pilots. Watching them fly their planes over the campus and seeing some of the acrobatics, pull-outs, and generally incredible maneuvers they execute, I could see why they might seem so cocky nearing the point of arrogance. Nobody else can do what they can do, and I guess that feeling permeates their existence.

Perhaps that "nobody else does it this well" attitude applies to the filthy rich members of our society and accounts for their attitude?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:53
Who cares?

Facebook is American rubbish, if you don't like it then delete it. It's obvious data is always used / sold for commercial purposes. That's life these days.

It's like serial killers - you'll never stop it.

Col
Well, I guess I have to agree. The "stealing" and (illegal) privatization of consumer data has been going on for years and nobody cared. Then, when the Obama administration used it, the media (foaming at the mouth) slobbered about how "ingenious" this approach was. Now that Facebook has somehow been tainted by TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) this type of activity has been declared "criminal" and all the critics are hysterically screaming on how appalled they are. The media has done an about face; politicians are grandstanding to get votes, and both are pursing a vendetta witch-hunt to "destroy" Facebook.

I do not use Facebook nor do I have an appreciation for Facebook. But I simply find it mindbogglingly that the abuse of privacy information by the tech companies has been ignored for many years. Now, one incident exposes this corruption and the self-righteous media and insincere politicians have a grand mal seizure of epic proportions. Where have all these newly minted critics been for the past few years while tech companies routinely "stole" user data? Answer: Nowhere.

We supposedly live in a free society, Facebook is part of it, whether we like it or not. As I have expressed, I have no love for Facebook, but they should be left alone to either succeed or fail based on the principle of a free society and a free market.

------------------------------------------------------------
Update: The Latest: FTC confirms Facebook investigation on privacy. Once again, why wasn't the FTC concerned before? Facebook did not instigate this type of abuse. The FTC should have been taking action years ago. This is shaping-up to be a "hit job" on Facebook.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom