Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,020 Times in 930 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

While I often have been known to down-play government pronouncements, every time I have looked into OIG statements, they have had considerable substance to them. Rx_, your last sentence tells a sad but probably true tale. That 97% consensus was actually "97% of consultant companies desperately want government money and don't care what they have to do to get it." Which says that maybe 3% of those companies actually have some level of ethical behavior other than zero.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #17
MarkK
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,247 Times in 1,187 Posts
MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all
As I understand it, sea ice is increasing in the antarctic because increased global temperatures are causing higher volumes of fresh-water run-off, which reduces the salinity of the water, and raises its freezing point. This fresh-water melt is lightly less dense than the higher salinity sea-water, and so it 'floats,' freezes more readily, and makes it appear the ice-pack volume is increasing. The cause of this effect, however, is higher global temperature, leading to ice loss on the continent, and an increase in sea-ice.
I have been to Antarctica. This is how the experts on that trip explained the increase in sea-ice.
Mark
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Mark_ will become famous soon enough

MarkK,
Just to make sure, your talking Antarctica, i.e. SOUTH POLE. An area surrounded by large oceans with little natural run off of its own?

The "Floats" theory sounds very counter to my chem classes and how salt likes to migrate rather quickly in water. If this was the arctic where there is less access to other bodies of water I'd be less skeptical. The arctic does have major sources of fresh water that would be affected by changes in weather in North America (greater rain in northern Canada would lead to more fresh water discharged into the Arctic ocean) but Antarctica lacks flowing rivers to drive this kind of behavior and lacks a physical barrier between its surrounding water and both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
MarkK
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,247 Times in 1,187 Posts
MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all MarkK is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
MarkK,
Just to make sure, your talking Antarctica, i.e. SOUTH POLE. An area surrounded by large oceans with little natural run off of its own?
Ahh, no, I am talking about Antarctica, i.e. SOUTH POLE, a continent larger than Australia with the single largest supply of fresh-water on earth, which melts in Summer (our Winter). That melt, and yes, the run-off that results from that melt, is so great is changes the salinity of the surrounding sea, increasing the volume of sea ice by changing--raising--the temperature at which that water freezes.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #20
Rx_
Nothing In Moderation

Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about

https://wattsupwiththat.com/referenc.../sea-ice-page/
This covers both Poles sea-ice
It is "complicated" as one might expect.
The Russian studies related to Maritime Traffic have typically been better indicators of good research. They are graded on trade and military reality. The influence of our Sun as a Variable Star (more stable than most stars) is very interesting.
Al Gore predicted the polar caps would be melted in 5 years back in 2009.
Last April - a discussion of the South Pole ice was posted.
It is a presentation that might be worth reviewing.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/04/...arctic-icecap/
Over the years, it has around 350 Million views.
Rx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #21
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Rx_,

The link "https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/04/16/can-humans-melt-the-antarctic-icecap/" points to an article that addresses "Could HUMANS melt the ice", not "Could HUMAN activity increase solar absorption world wide". Difference between you using a pedal powered generator to make electricity to power a heating element to melt a piece of ice and you putting black paint on your roof to run water over (on a sunny day) to use the water to melt the ice.

Very good read and, more importantly, expresses just how massive the amount of energy we are talking about. It also explains why so many people grab onto sound bytes as the math itself can be outside of normal understanding.

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: