Record protection - user security access (1 Viewer)

K

Kaya3109

Hello all,

I have a question about security. I do not know if it is at all possible but I will ask you anyway. I have a database that is used by multiple users and everyone has access to everything within that DB. As you can imagine this causes some problems from time to time. I was wondering if there is a way to secure records, meaning allowing one group of users access to certain records while restricting access for others all based on a project name or project ID. To simplify it even more when user opens a form that displays all projects I would like the DB to determine if the user is a group user and then follow these rules: Users in group 1 can view only information for projects A, B, C and users in group 2 can only view information in projects X, Y, Z, while users in group 3 can view all information about all of the projects.

Thank you,

Any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:22
Jet security doesn't provide record level control. It only controls objects. You would need to do this yourself with queries and code behind the forms. The problem of course is that you would first have to use the native Jet secuity to lock down the database. If you don't, you can't prevent users from circumventing your user implemented security.

K

Kaya3109

Thank you.

Then I have another question, would password protected form still allow multiple users to view the database at the same time or it would take away this functionality? Is it possible to set up password for each user, not just one generic password for everyone?

Thank you

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:22
Security does not impede database sharing. You can assign individual passwords by using the built in security. Before you do anything regarding Access security, read the Security FAQ. Have a drink. Get a good night's sleep and then read it again. Access security is very tricky and is easy to mess up. Make sure you have at least two backups in safe places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom