Site suggestions poll (2 Viewers)

Please vote for the site improvements that you most want

• Link with list of unanswered topics

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Update allowed file attachments to include docx, xlsx; zipx

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Automatically mark posts as CLOSED after 30 days inactivity

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Add option to save subscribed threads (CSV / TXT / XML)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Add warning before navigating to another page when writing a thread

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Add list of moderators to the site

• Add code button to the quick reply pane

• Make advanced post editor the default

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:47
I will look at some of this, although what can be done depends on the difficulty. Regarding the advanced editor, is your suggestion that it is always showing at the bottom of a thread like the quick reply?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I will look at some of this, although what can be done depends on the difficulty. Regarding the advanced editor, is your suggestion that it is always showing at the bottom of a thread like the quick reply?

No - instead of the quick reply

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I think instead of the quick reply would be very difficult. You will notice that the Advanced mode is actually a completely different page, rather than code at the bottom of the thread.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I can't show another page on the same page.

Makes sense. Is there any way you can implement this?

If you want to see posts with zero replies, you can use this: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&replylimit=0

I have had a look and I'm not sure how much value there is in it. I see lots of deleted threads, administrative things and so on. That might be because I am an admin. Not sure if you can see that.

The link works perfectly.
I don't see any of those things (see below) so it seems good to me.

If feasible, perhaps it would be worth excluding items that don't normally get answered e.g. code repository / sample databases.
But its good as shown - perhaps added to Quick Links?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 340

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I cannot implement it.

Check out Quick Links now. I added Unanswered Posts and restricted it to the last month only.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I cannot implement it.

Check out Quick Reply now. I added Unanswered Posts and restricted it to the last month only.

Assume you mean you can't implement advanced editor as standard - if so that's a shame

Had a look at Quick Reply but use it so rarely i'm not sure what you've changed. Can you add the code # button to it?

Unanswered posts - that's perfect as far as I'm concerned. Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry did you mean Quick Links rather than Quick Reply?

BTW if you click on Mark Forums Read in Quick Links, this message always appears

I think Quick Links would also be the ideal place to add a list of site moderators

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 331

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I did mean Quick Links.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:47
To be honest, the only one of those suggestions that looked like it had any value to me (as a retired person and therefore a less-frequent user) was to update allowed attachments to include the updated Office file types that include the extra "x" in them. And Jon reports that he did that.

I'm definitely not in favor of involuntary thread closure or marking unless there is the chance of adding a third category called "idle" that would automatically be shown on threads for which no posts had occurred in over a year (or some other convenient number). Obviously this would ONLY be visible when you got a list of posts by doing a topic search, since the first page listing of posts by category is defaulted to "newest first" - meaning all of the most recent posts. But that is so low a priority to me that I wouldn't spend any skull sweat over it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Jon made 2 changes yesterday:

1. Added docx, xlsx and zipx to the list of allowed file attachments

2. Added 'Unanswered topics' to the Quick Links dropdown.
This is limited to the last month which seems sensible to me

I believe he is still working on some of the other suggestions that many people would like to see
e.g. adding a list of moderators to Quick Links

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, this is what I have changed:

1. Added Unanswered Posts under Quick Links, showing posts with zero replies inside the last month.

2. Can now upload docx, xlsx and zipx.

3. Added Code button to Quick Reply.

4. Fixed Security Token error when using "Mark Forums Read" under Quick Links. It now works properly.

Regarding the other suggesions:

a. Why do you want a list of Moderators?

b) I do not want to close threads. This will deter people from adding to them or perhaps even reading them, in my view.

c) I do not want [Solved] on posts. When I've been to sites where I've been harassed to say if my thread is solved or not, I found it added friction to my user experience. I want this site as friction free as possible.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Jon

First of all, many thanks for changes 1-4

As regards the other items, remember that I devised the list by trawling through requests made by other users in site suggestions. Several of these were items that personally I'm not bothered by. For example, closing threads or marking them as solved.

In fact recently I tried responding to a closed thread on Experts Exchange to say the accepted solution didn't work. I got nowhere. They wouldn't reopen it and didn't want me to post a new thread linking to the old one. Their reasoning appeared to be that it would make the site look less good to question an accepted solution!

Lots of people have asked for a list of moderators so its easier to contact one or more in tomes of need. I really wanted that info when I lost my email notifications for over a month. Uncle Gizmo gave a link in an earlier post in this thread but I have to find his post to remember it. Also it contains a list of paying site supporters which it may not be appropriate to publicise.

Saving subscribed threads as a file is one of my suggestions. As it can already be done for PMs, I assume it wouldn't be difficult to do for subscribed threads.
It would make it easier for me to find those threads at some point in the future

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have hidden the paying site supporters from the Show Groups link now. Good suggestion.

I cannot spare any more time on further suggestions. These things take much longer than you think.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok, this is what I have changed:

3. Added Code button to Quick Reply.
Yayyy :)

I don't know why this wasn't always there, it should encourage the use of the tags.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks again Jon.
I'm now a paying supporter in gratitude.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Aha!

To view a list of moderators, click the Forum button, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the View Forum Leaders link

Not sure if its always been there or if Jon just added it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@ridders, congrats on becoming a GOLD Supporter

Looks like someone liked the code button idea.

I didn't add the forum leaders link. I've done so many mods before that I forget what is there and what isn't.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 17:47
I have to say, the 'Unanswered Posts' link is a godsend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom