Hello, New to Access (1 Viewer)

mx36

Local time
Today, 09:23
Hi am new to the world of Access. I am looking at possible starting a small lawn irrigation repair company when I get home from my current deployment. In my free time I have started messing with access to design a way to track customers and help with billing. It all looked pretty easy until I started trying to build my database. I am hoping you all can help me get it up and going. Thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:23
It all looked pretty easy until I started trying to build my database.

Hi mx36, welcome to AWF.

if you want to learn programming and in particular MS Access then you are doing exactly what you should be doing.

However if you want something to help you run your business, then there are many off-the-shelf packages that you should consider first before developing your own solution.

I always advise my clients to check out what is available "off-the-shelf" because you can often get very nearly what you want for your business off the shelf. The only time you should consider writing an MS Access database is if you have a very specific business need which isn't covered by something ready made.

If I haven't put you off! Then the first Big Mistake most people make is mistaking MS Access for Excel...

Meaning they think that Excel data tabular structure will work in Microsoft Access.. and it does, AND that is the big gotcha, it works fine until you want to start doing something sensible with the data, to then you run into problems!

I did a blog about it here which you might find interesting:-

http://www.niftyaccess.com/excel-in-access/

It's a good idea to try out off-the-shelf packages because you will get a good feel for the sort of functionality you want to put in your own database. You get a good leg up in the design process which is a significant amount of effort in itself.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom