Cyber bullying - fact or fiction? (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:04
The problem is deciding when bullying is taking place as opposed to strongly making your argument. Sometimes it is obvious as per the link Accessblaster posted, but although it became close to it in the religious threads I'm not sure it ever became bullying.

People will have different views on this, especially as some take general statements personally, we've seen this when American foreign policy is being criticised. Bullying has to be a persistent deliberate personal attack. We can all overstep the mark occasionally and if this is raised an apology should suffice to diffuse the issue.

This however refers to forums such as this and bears little relationship to the issues first raised regarding youngsters being bullied on their sites.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
This however refers to forums such as this and bears little relationship to the issues first raised regarding youngsters being bullied on their sites.

Brian

I disagree. Scott has thoughtfully explained several proposals to resolve the issue but with the greatest respect to him, they all lend themselves to 'passing the buck'.

Why should we pass the responsibility of upholding civil behavior within OUR society to institutions that have little investment or profitable interest in securing such an environment? Who has the personal investment here in protecting the next generation?

It is this reticence to take such personal responsibility, I believe, that persists through out all online social interaction.

..and yes I agree that the subjective nature of what defines bullying is a part of this reticence.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I understand the issues in identifying this...

I do think though that a good start would be to make people identify themselves when they create profiles, using a residential IP address as opposed to a Public one, entering Social Security number or passport number...
People may think twice then about posting that nasty comment, or that photo
shopped picture...

That has to be a good start surely...

scott-atkinson

Local time
I disagree. Scott has thoughtfully explained several proposals to resolve the issue but with the greatest respect to him, they all lend themselves to 'passing the buck'.

Why should we pass the responsibility of upholding civil behavior within OUR society to institutions that have little investment or profitable interest in securing such an environment? Who has the personal investment here in protecting the next generation?

It is this reticence to take such personal responsibility, I believe, that persists through out all online social interaction.

..and yes I agree that the subjective nature of what defines bullying is a part of this reticence.

I agree with you, the problem is that we will always get some people with little or no moral responsibility, who think themselves incredibly clever by posting sarcastic or nasty comments simply because they know that they can with no come back to themselves...

This is a much wider issue that just bullying, Grooming of children takes place on these sites by men and women pretending to be somebody they are not..

My eldest boy is 12 years old in a months time, he wants me to set him up with a facebook account because his friends mum has set one up for him... the "age limit" for facebook is 13 years old, but that is simply determined by your year of birth entered when you sign up with nothing to prove that you are of age... I have been a bad Dad in the eyes of my son as I have said no, he needs to wait... and even when he is 13, do I really want my son entering that unregulated environment...

Social media has to have some form of regulation, we are all at risk by it not having it...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 13:04
Vassago,

The problem is you are INCONSISTENT. You cherry pick where you want us to have civility. Kilimanjaro is a glaring example of your inaction. No calls for civility there Vassago.

Can you be more specific? Who is Kilimanjaro and what posts are you referring to? If someone didn't report the posts, there is a chance I didn't see it. I had no desire to even look at this thread until someone messaged me.

I try not to be inconsistent, but it's not an easy job. I've had this accusation thrown at me, as all of the staff have, from all sides. It's kind of hilarious actually when both sides of an argument call foul and say you aren't being fair. :banghead:

Vassago

Local time
Despite repeated requests, this thread is taking a turn for the worst.

Therefore, before someone gets to say something they regret, may I respectfully ask the mods that this thread be closed please?

Thanks

Col

You have the ability to close it if you desire.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:04
Scott, My eldest boy is 12 years old in a months time, he wants me to set him up with a facebook account because his friends mum has set one up for him..
What happened to NO! Parents have to take a little responsibility for the education of their children. Even Liberals have that responsibility but somehow it gets lost along the way.

I heard this morning on NBC News the one of our (USA)athletes who won Gold, did so because of his 'Alternative Lifestyle'. It appears that this young man has a wife, baby, job , is a christian, etc. Now that is what I call an Alternative Lifestyle.

Have a nice day :>)
Bladerunner

Vassago

Local time
I made the asumption you came into this thread on your own accord. I had no idea someone PM you to interseed in their behalf. Please accept my apology it was a very fustrating day.

I still don't know what you were referencing. Maybe my memory is failing. I apologize if it wasn't taken seriously. I don't see any members with the name you referenced, so it was pretty confusing. :confused:

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Colin:

You could open up a whole new can of worms if you tweaked the question just a little.

"what is the definition of bullying? "An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people."

This does not say anything about adults being able to bully other adults. It seems to me that this is just another way of someone controlling everything we do. Living or staying in the UK and Europe, I am sure a lot of our members can appreciate that. In fact, while I was over there, everything that was not stated by regulations as legal was illegal. Meaning you have lost a lot of your freedoms. All in the name of What? World Peace?, One World Order?, Security, etc.?

In my humble opinion, it comes down to Morals. Simple as that and No, this article (Kilimanjaro) was not a case of bullying no more than the ranting of a certain Australian was when dealing with the religious aspect of humanity I put forth in the Atheism Thread.

Bladerunner

scott-atkinson

Local time
What happened to NO! Parents have to take a little responsibility for the education of their children. Even Liberals have that responsibility but somehow it gets lost along the way.

Bladerunner

This is only part of the problem, bullying has always been around, I don't feel it is any worse than when I was bullied at school, the only difference is that the arena has evolved, when I went home from school the bullying ended until the next day, now even when the child goes home he is subjected to Bullying from social media, it is relentless now, before it was just between the hours of 8am and 3:45pm...

There is the technology now to reach the entire connected planet in seconds, very clever people invented that, they realized that could do it, unfortunately they didn't stop to think if they should do it....

Bullying will never go away, whilst there is air to breath bullying, repression etc in some form will exist, we can try as much as we want to, to change this but it will not happen... this is why I believe that the use of Social Media sites should have regulation and legislation...

It is simply all about money, with no thought for moral responsibility, the recent acquisition from Facebook of Whatsapp proves this. Paying $19B dollars for a mobile App that reaches 24 million people at the last count with free access to all, simply from a mobile phone that in many cases are untraceable...

These sites need regulation...

scott-atkinson

Local time
Even if you have legislation and regulation, there would have to be a (world wide) consensus on what the definition of cyberbully really is. Lets do a better job raising our kids. As pointed out above.

The majority of people if asked would say that they are doing their best in raising their children and teaching them right from wrong.

Im sure the parents of the children that bullied me would have said the same, or the parents of a child who pushed another child to suicide online..

All parents try to do their best, bullying will never be eradicated no matter how good a parent you are, unless we plan to replace all our children with Stepford Kids... (check out an old sci fi phrase for robotic children)

There needs to be a way to protect children online whilst allow them to enjoy the benefits of Social Media... and as I have said before... making people identify themselves when they create a profile would be a good start. I don't even feel that we have to define what Cyber Bullying is, the mere fact that as a Social Media user who has as part of the sign up process had to identify themselves through verification should eliminate the most serious offences of Grooming, and Vilification that currently goes on, as the perpetrator knows that they can easily be traced...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Scott, verification via some means like passport number or driving licence number would mean these social sites having access to massive databases.

I cannot see the UK government or UK populace giving permission for these massive sites access to such valuable data. The possibility of misuse is inevitable.

We already have the CIA monitoring our phones.

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
For every defense there is a work around - usually well shared by those who would need or use them and often shared before or immediately after the defense has been initiated - with the huge proliferation of spammy offers for false identification cards and certificates online how will such things be validated and how will the validation system be hack proofed?

Best protection is to educate children on what is wrong and right, and what to do if the line is crossed. Parents need to do the parenting and not farm out the responsibility of raising their offspring to others at the earliest age possible.

The majority of people if asked would say that they are doing their best in raising their children and teaching them right from wrong.

Im sure the parents of the children that bullied me would have said the same, or the parents of a child who pushed another child to suicide online..

All parents try to do their best, bullying will never be eradicated no matter how good a parent you are, unless we plan to replace all our children with Stepford Kids... (check out an old sci fi phrase for robotic children)

There needs to be a way to protect children online whilst allow them to enjoy the benefits of Social Media... and as I have said before... making people identify themselves when they create a profile would be a good start. I don't even feel that we have to define what Cyber Bullying is, the mere fact that as a Social Media user who has as part of the sign up process had to identify themselves through verification should eliminate the most serious offences of Grooming, and Vilification that currently goes on, as the perpetrator knows that they can easily be traced...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Scott
you are fighting a loosing battle, but I don't know how many of those just banging on about it all being down to parenting are raising children in a modern city environment.

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time

Scott---I beg to differ: I was raised to respect others at all times. I had to say 'yes sir' and 'no maim ' to all seniors or I would get the beating of my young life. Parents back then use to talk to each other and if you did something wrong, you better have a good excuse.

My kids grew up close to the same way. Yes, they got whippings (not the beatings I got), things like the TV, Radio, Atari, etc.were taken away from them and the most important of all (in my opinion) they had Jesus in their life. They were not bullies then nor did they become bullies at any time after they became adults (18). Yes they went to public schools and are the better for it. One of my axioms about raising children is: If you cannot give them (the child) the morals, the ability to determine right from wrong, good work ethics, good social ethics, etc. by the age of 15, you as a parent have failed because after that age (and it might be younger in the inner cities) you , the parent, will NOT be able to teach them at all until they get in their thirties. At this time, they will ask and you can teach them as peers.

The internet, computer games, facebook, chat lines, email, twitter, blogs, etc. is as you say, the problem however, it is also an Freedom of Speech. These are three words we cherish so much here in the U.S.

It all begins with the parent and if they do not take time to teach the children about the evils within each one of the above then the child should be considered about the same a walking the streets of any large city alone. Would you want that for your child or grandchild?

The real question I ask you in my last posting was when did the word "NO" mean nothing. I grew up without a cell phone and internet, my kids grew up with the beginnings of the internet and now my grandchildren in their pre-teens are enjoying the clean games that are available, a cell phone to talk to their friends within the hours after school and bedtime, NO internet (except for school projects), NO twitter account, No email, etc.. NO, I did not impose these restrictions on them (already did that in my earlier years), my kids did that for themselves. Am very proud of them as you can tell.

YOU can put all the restrictions you want to on the internet but it will not help. You cannot even put in a restriction on age of the user since you cannot verify the age of the person. The only viable way to control the internet is to insert a chip in every person which the internet can then scan and determine their age and other things. Sounds like the mark of the beast? Do you really want to go there.

There needs to be a way to protect children online whilst allow them to enjoy the benefits of Social Media.

Why do they need Social Media??????? The word 'friend' has changed from someone close to you, someone you have shared experiences with, etc. to someone on the internet you have never met, know nothing about, in alot of cases, don't know what they look like, etc. Does it ring a bell? It is ok for adults, like us, because we can exchange philosophies and other ideas without becoming 'damaged' ourselves.
But for Children, in my book it is a big NO!

Bladerunner

recyan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:34
Scott
you are fighting a loosing battle, but I don't know how many of those just banging on about it all being down to parenting are raising children in a modern city environment.

Brian

Thanksssss.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Well I guess we are happy for people to stay anonymous online then...

I am doing my best in raising my children, they are respectful, polite, and well mannered, myself and my ex wife I feel have done a good job I feel. I cannot speak for other parents, but I guess they have the same opinion of themselves too..

Hopefully my children will grow into well rounded adults.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well I guess we are happy for people to stay anonymous online then...

I am doing my best in raising my children, they are respectful, polite, and well mannered, myself and my ex wife I feel have done a good job I feel. I cannot speak for other parents, but I guess they have the same opinion of themselves too..

Hopefully my children will grow into well rounded adults.

It is not the actions of Scott's and Bladerunner's children that we are worried about , but that of other less fortunate children. What we have in this thread is the same reaction that we see in the gun control thread, we cannot make things perfect so let's do nothing.

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
It is not the actions of Scott's and Bladerunner's children that we are worried about , but that of other less fortunate children. What we have in this thread is the same reaction that we see in the gun control thread, we cannot make things perfect so let's do nothing.

Brian

I meant no disrespect to Scott about his being a parent or his children. A large section of our children (worldwide) no longer have ability to converse with one another outside of the internet and this can and does lead to all sorts of problems. I agree with Brian there is no full answer to this problem.. WE have opened the proverbial 'Pandora's Box' and we now have to live with it.

Also, please excuse the ramblings of an old man!

Bladerunner

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom