Nz function - error "undefined function" (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:10
User had two different Office installs on her computer one running 32 bit the other 64 bit.

Once Access 32 bit was removed issue was resolved.

I totally should of caught this luckily the IT tech did.

Mystery solved.

Really!?!
I thought it was impossible to have both 32-bit & 64-bit Office on the same PC even if they are different versions of Access. Having tried to do exactly that in the past, the second install fails with a message about using the same 'bitness' or uninstalling the previous Office version first

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I am curious as to why NZ() is not available no matter what version is running.?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nz is part of a standard library reference which will have been not working correctly with both 32 and 64-bit insralled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:10
Colin, like you I thought you couldn't co-install both bitnesses, but I saw it once at work before I retired. I suspect that it partially failed (but also partially succeeded, which was the REAL problem.) It was a bear to clean out because we had to remove BOTH copies of Office, then install the bitness we wanted as though it was an initial installation.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've never tried but wonder whether you can install a runtime version in the 'wrong' bitnees…??

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:10
It depends on the version of Office. You cannot install the runtime of a given version along with the full version so you can install the runtime for A2013 if you have full A2016 installed but not if you have full A2013.

Errors like this that complain about built in Access functions are always caused by some Reference error. If there are ANY missing references, no matter what library is actually missing, the FIRST call to ANY library generates the error and since Access apps use a lot of VBA functions, the error is usually regarding one of those but it could manifest differently at different times on the same computer. It all depends on which piece of code the user executes first. So yesterday, the user clicked menu item #1 first and got the error. Today he clicked #2 and got a different error. BOTH are caused by the same missing library reference.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
we've been running 64 bit environment with no issues for several years. this issue was related to her due installs with one 32 bit and the other 64. Thank you

glad you got it sorted. Obviously the real thing is to be consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom