Why doesn't the label stay on your Form (2 Viewers)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:25
In design view, you click on Label, drag it onto the form and let go.

What are you supposed to do next ? Everything I do results in the label just disappearing. You can't even get to it's properties - or can you?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:25
you have to type sonething in the caption. you can only delete the caption in the Property otherwise the label will be deleted.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I see. So you have to put something only to remove it later? I found that but thought it was so stupid there must be another way.
Usually I spend an hour or so Googling to figure some of this out but often that drives you crazy looking for something e.g. ( "View") only to find it doesn't have what the instructions say is there.
I hope I can ask you a couple more things. I've dragged a pile of option buttons onto a Form and selected them but can't find Font in the Property sheet. Can I get to it anyhow?

Size-Space and "Equal Vertical". No way does this give them all the same vertical spacing. Is this option for something else?

To separate the label from the button (apart from Control x Control v where you must reposition the label afterwards) can you move them all to the left at once ?

Thanks.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:25
I only experimented it today and found that its true you cannot adjust the spacing of each radio button.
also the labels are impossible to move to left. what I did was delete all labels and inserted new label to the left. then on each radio button, I associated the labels to them using Label Name property.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Goodoo, thanks for getting back to me and confirming there's no better way. Will get there in the end!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:25
Size-Space and "Equal Vertical". No way does this give them all the same vertical spacing.
I don't get that, or most of the other seemingly impossible things. I put several on a form and chose to space equally - no problem. Put labels on the left too. As for a font, why would you expect to see font properties for a control that has no text? Am I misunderstanding the problems?
I agree, the label thing catches me off guard still, sometimes. Assuming you need the label, then type anything in it next time and it will stay. You don't need the property sheet to edit a label.
P.S. - you do know that option buttons are not of much use if not embedded in a frame, yes?

Label left and unevenly spaced

Arrange>Size/Space>Equal Vertical

Attachments

• opts1.jpg
    opts1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 225
  • opts2.jpg
    opts2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 228

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Your Access may be better/later ? Certainly doesn't work here. How did you paste a pic into your message ?
The font property was for the labels.
I don't have them in a Frame - just on a Form. Did you move the labels to the left of the button manually one by one? I could not select them as everything was kind of all together.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:25
labels are impossible to move to left. what I did was delete all labels and inserted new label to the left. then on each radio button, I associated the labels to them using Label Name property.

That's an excellent tip thank you arnelgp!

Seeing as the associated label property is a relatively new feature of MS Access, I wasn't aware of how handy it could be!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Handy? I'm missing something here.
I found selecting each Label (or option button) with Control then allowed one left setting for all. But drawing a rectangle to multi-select was hopeless. Also a Font Property then showed up. But as for Vertical spacing - could not.. Arne says No and Micron yes. Different versions of Access? I'm using 2016.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:25
I could not select them as everything was kind of all together.
Sounds like controls are in a grouped layout. This can be frustrating when trying to rearrange things. I never group controls. The form wizard always groups controls. Select all controls then right click > Layout > Remove.

I had no problem dragging radio button associated label to left side.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For what its worth ...
1. If you just type a space into a label caption it will not be deleted.
2. To move a radio button label to the left of the button, drag its right border to the left of the button so you are effectively 'reversing it'. Then adjust its width.
You can do this for all labels in an option group at once

Both work in all versions of Access AFAIK

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That's an excellent tip thank you arnelgp!

Seeing as the associated label property is a relatively new feature of MS Access, I wasn't aware of how handy it could be!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

No wonder I could not find it. :eek:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

It was added to Access 365 in June 2017.
However you've always been able to associate unattached labels with a control.
Right click the label (or both label & control together) to see the context menu item.
Personally I find the old method quicker to do as no typing needed

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
other thing to do to associate a label to a control it is to delete the label (ctrl-x), select the control you want to associate it with and the paste (ctrl-v)

To my mind, only benefit of associating a label is a) if you hide the control it hides the associated label and b) the label takes on some of the events of the control such as click, mouse move etc

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
To my mind, only benefit of associating a label is a) if you hide the control it hides the associated label and b) the label takes on some of the events of the control such as click, mouse move etc

Both of those are fairly significant benefits in my opinion;)

Also, in earlier versions, unassociated labels on a tab control were determined to be one of the causes of screen flicker. The advice at that time was to ensure all labels were associated with a control. Not sure if it still applies
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/21037803/Unassociated-Label-causes-Flicker-on-Tab-Control-in-Access-2003.html

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Both of those are fairly significant benefits in my opinion

didn't say they weren't significant but can see that may have come across like that ;)- it depends what you are doing - You can't associate a label in the header to a control in the detail (except by using some coding and associating by name/tag/position etc). VBA code affecting control visibility/enabled works on both, but moving a control does not move the associated label as well.

Can't say I've noticed an issue with flickering.....

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:25
Seems like a lot has transpired from last night. As for my versions, listed in my signature. June7 probably has nailed it?
The label also becomes a member of the control's collection, albeit the only member. I have found that very useful when validating the existence of field values during form validation. A message box saying "enter data in txtFName" or God forbid, Text20, is not nearly as intuitive as using the caption that they can see. Since you've already referred to the control in question it's a simple matter of getting at its collection member caption. Otherwise, it seems you have to customize the code to produce a meaningful message for each control being validated.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since you've already referred to the control in question it's a simple matter of getting at its collection member caption.
good point, I think I'm probably thinking too close to the way I define my user experience.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom