Remote Access to a Database (1 Viewer)

A

Adam Highbury

Hello,

We have an Access 2000 database which is currently is split with the back-end on an NT server and the front end on five office PC's.

One of our employees needs to work from home for a period and we would like to try & support him in this by providing access to the company database. He has a PC at home with highest speed broadband access and remote dial-in to the server to currently synchronise email. He may be able to come into the office once a week.

I have performed some searches on possible solutions. The ones I have found are:

1. remote access running the database over a live connection with a front-end on his home PC
2. use Microsoft NetMeeting
3. have the database on the company website and have users access this way
4. replication

The database is quite large and for each client record there are about 10 associated records (children, premises, accounts, complaints etc).

Could the database become corrupted with 1. even with a high speed broadband connection?

I have no experience in 2., 3., or 4.

I am still looking at options/searching however any pointers or suggestions users have from experience would be appreciated.

Thank you.

GizmoT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:12
Adam

I had the same problem as yourself.

I couldn't find a way to link the front end at home, with the back end at the office as per option 1.

In the end I had to resort to PC Anywhere, which allowed me to dial up and take over a PC based in the office. I then had full access to the whole of the network. I, too, would be interested to know how else you can network from home.

If no-one comes up with a different/better solution for you and you have to resort to PC Anywhere, it is worth bearing in mind that the connections at both ends has to be the same. In other words, if your client had ISDN or broadband at home, the office that he dials in to cannot be a standard modem. (I think!!)

I too have no experience in the other methods of connecting :( :(

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 07:12
#3 includes making DAP's (Data Access Pages) of your forms. As this is a temp condition I would rule it out.

For a temp situation I think that PC Anywhere is really your best solution requiring no change to the db as it currently stands. Replication would be your second best option but requires complex setup and maintenance.

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
I agree with Autoeng pcAnywhere is good for what you need to do as long as there is a free PC in the office for him to control. Or if you're feeling brave a VPN and give him a front end on his PC.

GizmoT

Registered User.
Local time
John

Sorry for showing my ignorance (again) - but what is a VPN? I presume it is a virtual network. How do you set one up and what is required in terms of software, hardware etc?

Thanks

Giz

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
GizmoT said:
John

Sorry for showing my ignorance (again) - but what is a VPN? I presume it is a virtual network. How do you set one up and what is required in terms of software, hardware etc?

Thanks

Giz

Yeah, learn me some new stuff too!

rpadams

Registered User.
Local time
Set Up Virtual Private Network

If you are running Windows XP Professional, setting up the VPN can be done quite readily using the included wizard. This would give you a very fast and secure method to do what you want. I don't know how to do this (or even if you can) with other versions of Windows (including the home XP version).

I'd recommend the following book to help you work it through (and use XP Pro in a network environment as well):

Windows XP Professional Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William Stanek from Microsoft Press. (ISBN 0-7356-1381-8).

I found it at Amazon at less than list price of $30.

One thing to keep in mind is that you really need a static and not a dynamic IP address. Some broadband home connections have this, but some assign a new number periodically. A business broadband connection is more likely to offer the static option.

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
You can set up a VPN with any version of Windows from 98 on with the right software. I'm not the person to talk to re the finer points other than to confrim that windows 2k and XP come with a wizard to help. Security on the VPN is another issue to research to make sure it really is private. When you see them working as a user it's just like using a LAN (but slower on ISDN. We've not got broadband out here just loads of sheep!!):D

GizmoT

Registered User.
Local time
Aha!! There's the rub then. We are pretty antiquated round here - using W98, Access97 etc. And we have no broadband either. Thanks for the tips though, hopefully things will change and we will be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century soon.

Till then - I have a great excuse not to HAVE to work at home, when I want time off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom