Expert Access™ 2007 Programming by Rob Cooper and Michael Tucker. (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:43
I've just got this book, and from my initial browsing I think it's brilliant. I do not have MS Access 2007 yet, and you don't need it for much of the book as most of the examples will cover previous versions of MS Access.

It's definitely not a book for beginners, and intermediate may find some of it a bit difficult.

Why did I decide to recommend this book?
My belief is this book offers you the steppingstone from MS Access into VB.Net, (although .Net stuff in the book is mostly in C format! .... you can download VB.Net versions of examples from the Internet)

Nice!!!
The book covers, Classes, Interfaces, and other very .Net (OOP's) ideas, however most importantly, it shows you how to implement these ideas in your MS Access database. Nice!!!

Shinny up the Learning Curve
I have ventured into VB.Net and really it's very simple, you can program in VB.Net in exactly the same way you do in MS Access, it is not a big leap into the unknown, just a small shinny up the learning curve. However, I soon realized that I was missing much of what VB.Net had to offer, yes, I could do practically anything I wanted in VB.Net using my MS Access skill set, but there were some examples that I could hardly understand because they used OOP programming methods.

Vastly Improve my Programming
I tried learning these in VB.Net and it wasn't easy, I was in an unfamiliar environment, and that's when it dawned on me, why not learn these concepts in my own familiar safe friendly MS Access environment, and then moved into VB.Net when I have mastered these skills. I've been doing this anyway, however I can see that this book will give me an instant leg up and vastly improve my programming skills.

Got the Book?
If you've been thinking the same, if you have the book, if you're interested in "collaborative learning" then contact me immediately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom