Upload Access Database to hosting plan (1 Viewer)

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:24
Afternoon,
I am not sure this can be done but thought I'd ask just in case.

I have a form Access Database I've built for multiple users. The tables are housed in separate database I've uploaded online.

Can I use the form database to retrieve/add data to the database online?

Thank you.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:24
Basically, I think not, not with a normal Access database. Building a web-based db is not simple. This is why MS provided facility for Web Database served with SharePoint - both of which I understand are on the way out with MS promotion of Office365.

What do you mean by 'uploaded online' - is this just a file that users can download?

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, its it's pretty much just a file can can download now that I think about it. I guess the only other way is to open and close Excel spreadsheets?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Not sure what bearing Excel has on this.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, I still don't understand how that connects to file on website.

chineloogbonna

Registered User.
Local time
Since its online you can create a path to the Excel sheet and open it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
You can link an Access FE to tables over the internet but just because you can, doesn't mean that it will work for you. The Access FE is not optimized for this. It is optimized to work over a LAN. This type of connection will be as slow as watching paint dry.

If you have a need for people in different offices to share the same BE database, your best options will be Citrix or RDP. Both will allow you to keep your Access FE pretty much as is. If you host the Citrix server in house so that it is available on your LAN, you can have both local and remote users connected. If you purchase a hosting service, ALL users must be remote and use the Citrix server provided by your hosting service.

Please tell us more about the problem you are trying to solve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom