Merry Christmas everyone! (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:41
Terminally cute.

When you see a little one whose life can be so drastically changed by a relatively small and common piece of technology, you can't help but offer thanks to those still alive and those long gone who helped develop that little thing, a hearing aid.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:41
Unfortunately I just get a red circle going around forever. Too bad, would have enjoyed that I'm sure.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Too bad our medical system in the US would make this impossible for most families to afford. I've been looking for resources on cheaper hearing aids for a relative and they are so much more here than across the pond.

I hate our medical system.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:41
Unfortunately I just get a red circle going around forever. Too bad, would have enjoyed that I'm sure.

Isn't that Santa flying around the earth at break neck speed? :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The red circle is probably persistence of vision for Rudolph leading the sleigh and the other eight reindeer.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:41
Christmas is an over-rated commercial rip off.

The annoying religious overtones are a farce, supposedly celebrating the birth of a con-man (if he existed at all), then expecting people to believe the continuing fairy tale of his life.
Then you get stupid charity adverts on TV scrounging money so the directors can continue to run the expensive BMW's and mansions, the actors who are supposed to be starving look far from it.
Then to cap it all, you get the dopey Christmas films that make you vomit because of their sugary sweetness.
You have to buy useless presents that people hate and send stupid cards.

The sooner it's over the better.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col,

Here in the USA, we have the Hallmark channel. I'm sorry (for more than one reason) to have to inform you that with the movies produced for that particular channel, it's almost NEVER over (except when they do Easter stories just for a break from the snow scenes.) And OF COURSE it is one of my wife's favorite channel. Ah, the things we endure for our loved ones, eh?

There actually is a "family" element to Christmas. However, Col, I have to agree that too many big businesses have done their best to exploit and hijack the season. I can remember when it was became so totally overcommercialized. But that has been a long time ago.

I am on record in another sub-forum as being atheist. I perfectly understand your con-man reference. Doesn't stop me from thinking of the Bible as a set of allegories (no historical facts required) to present cultural beliefs in the context of stories to be told to illustrate said beliefs. That is, of course, the true purpose of allegory.

Still, at the risk of getting a "Humbug" from an old humbug like you, Merry Christmas, Col.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I'm kinda in Colin's camp on this one, although with less vehemence.

I love the way my wife gets into it all and the way my daughters eyes used to light up on Christmas morning but that is where it ends for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom