Help! How do I move forward with my design? (1 Viewer)

Tyinawyn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:07
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting!

I have rusty access/excel knowledge but an eagerness to learn more fuelled by the recent project I have become involved in.

Initially I was asked to create an excel document to collect and analyse data from within our company. This was to include incidents, accident and behaviours.

Due to the number of staff who would be using this with limited understanding 70+, I felt that access would be the best way to go because of the interface, analysis of text, multi value fields etc.

This database will do the job on a local level, within each separate service but I can't get my head around how to collate this information for a regional manager to evaluate without emailing 70+ copies..............

Splitting the database suits perfectly but unfortunately due to the nature of our business, the services cant know each others data, so cant have access to full table contents.

I appreciate that a database server or sharepoint would fix this but we are not quite there yet....Moving towards that but not quite there.

Am I going down the right path?

Is querying, emailing and copying and pasting 70 times the only way to collate?

Any help would be so much appreciated, I cant move on with my designing till I figure out this important part of the end result.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:07
Are your users on a domain at work? Do you have a employees table with each employee listed with a unique employee ID?

If so you can lookup the domain user on the machine and then restrict the forms in use to the logged in employee and only their records. If the employee table has a managers id also stored you could let the manager see any of their staff responses on the same basis.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
seriously, Access is not as amenable to casual development in the way that excel is. This sounds relatively complex, and would probably take a few days for a reasonable developer, with an existing "bag of tricks" (ie code library) and knowledge.

You can multiple this by at least 5 for an inexperienced access developer with no library.

There are any number of reasons why Access is a great tool for this sort of project, but if you do want access, and you aren't skilled with Access I would be inclined to get a professional to help you on this first project.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
You might want to look at Google forms for collecting the data.

Tyinawyn

Registered User.
Local time
@gemma-the-husky

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol!! ��

Actually have database doing much of what we need.
Collating data is the issue.

Thanks

Tyinawyn

Registered User.
Local time
Minty,

What your saying is very, very interesting.
Yes there is a domain that can be used and individual id's could be applied.
Again excuse my lack of knowledge, but would this be used in one stand alone database or in a split database?
Thanks so much

Tyinawyn

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks uncle gizmo, will have a look the now

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@gemma-the-husky

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol!! ��

Actually have database doing much of what we need.
Collating data is the issue.

Thanks

Sorry. I wasn't trying to impugn your abilities. Just trying to highlight what a difficult product Access is to use effectively.

Are you saying you have a vast number of different databases used at different locations, and you want to collate information to a consolidated report?

Tyinawyn

Registered User.
Local time
Oh not at all, I absolutely appreciate your comments and agree with you, I am very limited, haven't used vba for a number of years but am currently doing a refresher course. What I do have is time however and an interest in the design aspect so I'm hoping I can come up with something to tide us over just now.

Your previous comment is accurate, the database would sit within different services collecting the data. Collaborating all of it and being able to analyse on a corporate level is the goal.

Thank you so much for your time

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You can collect the users domain name on start up of the database and use that to lock down what they have access to.

I'm still unclear as to how your application is distributed - does each user have their own FE with a central BE database or are they all getting the same non split database?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom