not working in spain (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:40
Alternate would be to use fnAnySQL, a nice bit of code Arnel put together. That should allow you to avoid regional issues.

Yes, your posterior will be sore for a bit, but it should avoid these kinds of issues going forward.

So where exactly does this go?
I was think in the front as this is more painful than a painful thing!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 07:40
So where exactly does this go?
I was think in the front as this is more painful than a painful thing!

Your thinking a Foley Catheter.

You would use fnAnySQL any place you would now be doing an insert or update yourself.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. For now, we're just testing. So, create a single instance form and try it out. If it works, we'll tackle the problem with multiple instances of the form. Also, might as well try the other idea I was going to suggest. That is, rather than use a form, use another table where the value to use for the update is stored. Again, this is just to test if Access can handle references instead of literal values.

Forms!formname.control diesn't work
No idea what you're driving at about other table. I'm trying to store the value in another table anyway

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Forms!formname.control diesn't work
No idea what you're driving at about other table. I'm trying to store the value in another table anyway
Okay, so this is the last idea I have without resorting to VBA solutions. Again, just as a test, create Table1 with just one numeric field; add one record in Table1 with a value like 5. Then, copy and paste Table1 as Table2. Modify the record in Table2 and replace the value 5 with 2,35. If this doesn’t work, you may have to try it out in the Spanish version. We want Table2 to store the value as a number but use comma as a decimal point. Once you have the two tables set up as described, create and execute the following query:
Code:
UPDATE Table1, Table2 SET Table1.FieldName=Table2.FieldName
The expected result is that both tables will end up having 2,35 in the field. If the above query doesn’t work because it doesn’t have a JOIN, try adding a matching ID fields in both tables and join them in the query using the ID field.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, so this is the last idea I have without resorting to VBA solutions. Again, just as a test, create Table1 with just one numeric field; add one record in Table1 with a value like 5. Then, copy and paste Table1 as Table2. Modify the record in Table2 and replace the value 5 with 2,35. If this doesn’t work, you may have to try it out in the Spanish version. We want Table2 to store the value as a number but use comma as a decimal point. Once you have the two tables set up as described, create and execute the following query:
Code:
UPDATE Table1, Table2 SET Table1.FieldName=Table2.FieldName
The expected result is that both tables will end up having 2,35 in the field. If the above query doesn’t work because it doesn’t have a JOIN, try adding a matching ID fields in both tables and join them in the query using the ID field.
Thanks for your time and effort but it looks like Mark_ 's reference to arnelp solution works on the spanish side. Going go test on the UK side now.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Your thinking a Foley Catheter.

You would use fnAnySQL any place you would now be doing an insert or update yourself.

OK that appears to work at first simplified go!!
Still don't understand why access can't handle both formats
So what can I do about input. If spanish user puts in 2,35 on form all ok but if ex pat brit puts in 2.35 it gets translated to 235,00!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
If spanish user puts in 2,35 on form all ok but if ex pat brit puts in 2.35 it gets translated to 235,00!

So if a USER doesn't pay attentions to the regional settings on a computer, they can enter something wrong?

This is a USER error, not something you can code around. To do so would require you to use one of those "Telepathic Interfaces" that could read the users mind rather than what they type.

Trying to code around it would be similar to preventing an America user from typing 235,000 and being upset when they get 235,00.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for your time and effort but it looks like Mark_ 's reference to arnelp solution works on the spanish side. Going go test on the UK side now.
Hi. Glad to hear you got a solution now. If you get a chance though to test out my idea and it works, it would be nice to know for others as well because I think it avoids a VBA approach. Cheers!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Glad to hear you got a solution now. If you get a chance though to test out my idea and it works, it would be nice to know for others as well because I think it avoids a VBA approach. Cheers!
Hi. If I want to test this out myself, is all I have to do is change my Regional Settings to Spain? Just curious...

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
once i've cracked the back of this

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. If I want to test this out myself, is all I have to do is change my Regional Settings to Spain? Just curious...
possibly.....
but presume you have to code it before those changes?
i dunno, it's all very weird to me

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
So if a USER doesn't pay attentions to the regional settings on a computer, they can enter something wrong?

This is a USER error, not something you can code around. To do so would require you to use one of those "Telepathic Interfaces" that could read the users mind rather than what they type.

Trying to code around it would be similar to preventing an America user from typing 235,000 and being upset when they get 235,00.

Are the telepathic interfaces expensive? I think it may work :)
I'll go with the stuff 'em approach then!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom