Creating a Database (1 Viewer)

sajarac

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:03
Hi there, I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I am a beginner in access and I would like to convert an excel file into an access database.

Basically I have a tab with my employees, another tab with "Interest Rate" and the 3rd tab is for the calculation.

Enclosed is a copy of the excel file.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    25.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:03
Hi. Looking at your spreadsheet, the first two tabs make sense. You can create a table based on those. However, the third tab didn't make sense to me. Where did the "matching" data come from? What does it mean?

sajarac

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Basically the matching value is an input value, so we have for instance 100 workers and they started the program with an "X" amount, is like a saving value.

that value they start at the beginning of the year and they need to finish with the same value at the end of the year.

So we pay interest based in that value but at the end of the year we need to withdraw the interest to have the initial value "Matching"

Make sense?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Basically the matching value is an input value, so we have for instance 100 workers and they started the program with an "X" amount, is like a saving value.

that value they start at the beginning of the year and they need to finish with the same value at the end of the year.

So we pay interest based in that value but at the end of the year we need to withdraw the interest to have the initial value "Matching"

Make sense?
Hi. Not sure if it makes sense yet. What business are you trying to model? First of all, I hope you know you cannot duplicate the third Excel tab in Access as-is. You can create a form or a report that can mimic it, but you'll have to design your tables first to be able to "feed" the report. If this is anything similar to a savings account, you would create a table to track deposits and withdrawals. You can then display on the report any calculations you want to do with those data.

sajarac

Registered User.
Local time
I am trying to track the interest quarter by quarter, and have a report every quarter about the amount to be paid in total.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I am trying to track the interest quarter by quarter, and have a report every quarter about the amount to be paid in total.
That is easy to do in Access, once you get your table structure designed correctly.

sajarac

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you.

Easy for a master, I am a newby and I have been reading post samples etc and I can not get this.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:03
I note that you are only showing Four Quarters, in other words you are only representing 1 year. In a database you would want to represent every single year in a table. In other words in an Excel spreadsheet it's easy to create a copy of the sheet and name it for the next year and carry on using it. However in MS Access your dates and values should all be in the same table so that means each set of values for a particular year should have some way of identifying which year that set of values belong to.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:03
Let me give you a topics list for some reading because you are in grave danger right now of dooming your hair to a terrible fate - being pulled out during your late-night sessions of raw anguish as you try to figure out how to fix your database again. (OK, sometime's I'm prone to exaggerate a little...)

Look up "database normalization" articles on the web. At first, concentrate on college and university sites because they tend to have good articles. Commercial sites will start up discussions of proprietary features in their product whereas .EDU sites tend to be more matter-of-fact. If you use this forum's SEARCH feature, you can just look up "normalization" because we won't have any of the other half-dozen or more other types of normalization in our threads.

In this forum, look up "data model" and see if anything comes up that is useful. Because with Access, you are frequently building a model of your business data flow. You need to understand your business before you make a model of it, so part of your process right now is to be sure you have identified things you will be tracking.

The greatest danger here is to try to organize things like a file folder by year or by department. The "Access way" (actually, the database way) is to have everything of the same type in a pot of its own, but then use a query to pick out the pieces-parts that you wanted for a given problem or question. So you don't have a table for this year or that; instead, you have one table with the date as part of the data you keep in a given record. THEN you use a query to pull out a single year's worth of data. It is a different mindset than typical Excel usage. But trust me, it is the right way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom