Howdy! (1 Viewer)

dpw204

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:03
While I'm relatively new to Access, and am in a position now which necessitates working with a number of existing Access database's, my database chiefly was with an old (DOS Days) relational database, Paradox.

So I'm in the learning process. - Finding many things easy to do, and many that are difficult. I don't grok Access and VBA yet....

John

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome aboard! Feel free to post a question when you don't grok something (loved that book!).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:03
{Gasp!} PARADOX? Haven't seen that in ages.

To my way of thinking, Borland screwed the pooch when they changed from PARADOX for DOS to PARADOX for Windows. The idea of PARADOX wasn't the issue, it was the implementation and (non-)features. Hope it has gotten better. I compared PARADOX to Access 2.0 (yes, you saw that right) and found that even back then, Access was better.

dpw204

Registered User.
Local time

To my way of thinking, Borland screwed the pooch when they changed from PARADOX for DOS to PARADOX for Windows. The idea of PARADOX wasn't the issue, it was the implementation and (non-)features. Hope it has gotten better. I compared PARADOX to Access 2.0 (yes, you saw that right) and found that even back then, Access was better.

Hmm. Well I'll probably respectfully disagree. The object explorer, the ability in design view to zoom objects to support alignment are features available in Paradox which to this day I've not found in Access.

That said, my expertise was more with the Dos product. And I now find myself working with Access... Many things seem pretty slick, like querying queries for forms/reports. - Clearly superior to how Paradox handled it.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time

I have had to work with Paradox some years back, then also convert Paradox DB's to Access. In a lot of ways Paradox was more powerful, but easier to break (and a bit unstable). Unfortunately I saw no real differences between versions 8 to 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom