Desperate: Need replacement for Sagekey installation wizard (1 Viewer)

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:20
I deploy my access-based application using Sagekey's wizard (2013 edition). Now, they're leaving the business. I distribute both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of my "application", compiled on different machines having Office 32-bit and 64-bit, respectively.

The problem is that Sagekey is leaving the business and they never issued a wizard I could get to work on Win 10. Thus, all my machines are Win 7. I need to move to Win 10 for a number of reasons and I need a new installation wizard, or something that works like it.

Does anyone else deploy using another application? I have a fairly simple installation to include a front end, a back end, a few .dll's, and it creates a desktop start icon. Fairly standard stuff. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:20
I have been using SamLogic Visual Installer Pro for several years and can recommend it.
However, a lot of people use Inno which is free

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, that was fast, I'll check both out. THANK YOU!

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
I use Inno myself, but it's a bit of a learning curve. It's very capable but tricky to get nailed down exactly as you want.

For one of the applications we use it on we support Access 2010-2019 on Win7-10, 32 and 64bit and have the installer handling everything except the bitness (we have to deploy two installers: one for 32 and one for 64, but our build system handles that part). The Inno installer handles all the registry checks to see if runtime/full version are installed, installing runtime if need be, registering activeX controls, installing native client driver if necessary, etc. So yes, quite capable, but many hours have gone into the scripts to make it all work on any consumer platform (and honestly, it's the last time I'll ever support an Access desktop installer for consumer release: since O365 sandboxing/CTR installs it's become an extreme mess, IMO).

hth

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have no affiliation with Samlogic VI but do rate their installer highly.
It is a commercial product though MUCH cheaper than SageKey

One of the reasons why I like SamLogic VI is that the help files and support are both very good. The installer can do everything that Jack mentioned plus detect the Windows version, whether .NET is installed etc and prevent installation where certain conditions are set.

In addition, they have incorporated several suggestions I have made e.g. to test for bitness.
So I can include both 32-bit & 64-bit ACCDE files in a single installation and the installer handles the setup appropriately using a script.
I've found it easiest to install both bitnesses, detect & delete the unwanted version then rename the required one though that's not the method they suggest.
For example this script handles UKPAF32.accde/UKPAF64.accde with one renamed as UKPAF.accde

Code:
//Check Office bitness and delete the unwanted  ACCDE install 
//Add desktop and start menu icons for the correct ACCDE version
IF OFFICEBIT=32
		   //delete 64-bit ACCDE
		   DELETE %COMPDIR1\UKPAF64.accde

//rename 32-bit ACCDE
		   RENAME %COMPDIR1\UKPAF32.accde, %COMPDIR1\UKPAF.accde
END IF

IF OFFICEBIT=64
		 //delete 32-bit ACCDE
		   DELETE %COMPDIR1\UKPAF32.accde

//rename 64-bit ACCDE
		   RENAME %COMPDIR1\UKPAF64.accde, %COMPDIR1\UKPAF.accde
END IF

The version I have (2017) doesn't allow IF...ELSE...END IF though I think its been added since ... at my suggestion

I haven't found any difficulties using it with Office 365 files

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Jack and Isladogs,

I looked at both INNO and SamLogic, and decided for the price SamLogic is the way to go. Obviously, INNO has a steep learning curve and their support forum looks primitive. I've always been confused by Sagekey as they say if the installer detects full version Access, the runtime is actually not installed or used. In my case, due to CTR issues, I've been stuck with the 2013 runtime and I see runtime is installed regardless of the full version installed.

The SamLogic feature that allows it to detect and handle bitness would be invaluable to me as my distribution file set is pushing 1/2 a GB and now I have to create four of then accounting for bitness and a private label. What I can't find so far is any posts containing a working SamLogic script that I could use as a template to get started (hint, hint).

One thing happened yesterday that took a little pressure off is that I could never get Sagekey to run on a Win 10 machine. Yesterday, I had to install SQL Express which requires it, so I purchased and updated my 64-Bit Office workstation thinking I'd forgo updates on 64-bit Office installations when, lo and behold, sagekey worked!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK - make sure you purchase the Pro version so you can use the script feature.
Most of the installation process is done using wizards
However amongst other things, it provides the opportunity to do the following in scripts:
a) add registry commands e.g. trusted locations & product specific items such as license keys
b) execute scripts before/after installation
c) run a specified program after installation
d) set allowed passwords based on a prime number based system etc

The install project file (.vip) can be read in Notepad though you would never need to create or edit it direct - use the app instead
Attached is a fairly simple example .VIP file for a freeware UK Postcodes app available on my website. I've changed it to .txt so I can upload it
I can't supply more advanced project files from my commercial apps as these contain info which might allow users to download for free.

If you want more advice, suggest you email me using the link below

P.S. I remember reading that you had to purchase a new version of SageKey for each major release of Access.
You do NOT need to do so for VI. Indeed it can be used for all other files as well as Access

Attachments

• UKPostcodes.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 89

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:20
Thanks Jack and Isladogs,

I looked at both INNO and SamLogic, and decided for the price SamLogic is the way to go. Obviously, INNO has a steep learning curve and their support forum looks primitive. I've always been confused by Sagekey as they say if the installer detects full version Access, the runtime is actually not installed or used. In my case, due to CTR issues, I've been stuck with the 2013 runtime and I see runtime is installed regardless of the full version installed.

The SamLogic feature that allows it to detect and handle bitness would be invaluable to me as my distribution file set is pushing 1/2 a GB and now I have to create four of then accounting for bitness and a private label. What I can't find so far is any posts containing a working SamLogic script that I could use as a template to get started (hint, hint).

One thing happened yesterday that took a little pressure off is that I could never get Sagekey to run on a Win 10 machine. Yesterday, I had to install SQL Express which requires it, so I purchased and updated my 64-Bit Office workstation thinking I'd forgo updates on 64-bit Office installations when, lo and behold, sagekey worked!
Hi. I'm a little late to the party but just in case it makes a difference, maybe also take a look at SSE Setup. I have used it before, and it worked fine for me. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom