User choose what they want on a report (1 Viewer)

Czeszyn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:23
Hello, Not sure if this is possible, or even where to start.
I do many reports for different parts. Each report give the same information that relates to that part. That part is simple.

Now the hard part, because I have over 200 or more parts, is there say a way that one form could pop up, where a user can use what they want on their report. So basically I would have say one template, and the user can pick and choose what they need on the report.

They can use if the want to see the graph and data on the same report, or say certain scrap parts they would like to see. I am trying to find a way that I do not have to do all those report.

Anyways, any ideals in how to go about this?
Tony

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:23
The idea is to create a pop up form with all textbox or combovox that user can select.
This form is calles on the open event of the report. When user is finished filtwring on this form and before the form closes, it create a string of filter that can be uses to filter data on the report.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:23
Hi

Yes, its not difficult to do & has lots of advantages.
For example if you need to make further changes later, you only have to update one report

See this post from a few months ago How to create one report with multiple chart options

Taking this a stage further, you could also have e.g. an option group with radio buttons on the form for the user to select from:
e.g. graph & data / graph only / data only

For example, this form has multiple report options:

You would use the output of each option to set open args for the report

Then in the report open event, the value of the open args would be used to show or hide the graph or data section etc

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 201

Czeszyn

Registered User.
Local time
Hey that is really cool. So I can have it so that they choose basically what that want on their report? So the only thing that I would really have to have in the background would be the queries right? Do I have to write code for this, or is it simple to do. Any step by step on how to do one of these. I really love this. This way the user can pick which ever 200 parts they want to see, then also choose what data they want on that report as well. That is so cool.
Tony

Czeszyn

Registered User.
Local time
You got to teach me in how to do this. This is so cool, and would the database much more friendlier. Please, you got to show me step by step.
Tony

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You would have to build the code for this.

My advice would be to build up the options step by step making sure they work before adding the next layer of complexity.

The code for each may be simple but its easy to get confused as it gets more complex resulting in the whole thing tumbling like a tower of cards

Suggest you draw out a plan on paper of all the options.
Then design your form on paper & create it (without code at first)
After that start building code for each step

It will take you a while but should be well worth the effort

NOTE: If interested, you can download a DEMO version of some of my database. They are ACCDE files so you won't be able to view the code but they may still be useful to look at for ideas.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You got to teach me in how to do this. This is so cool, and would the database much more friendlier. Please, you got to show me step by step.
Tony

Our posts crossed

I'm willing to advise you on parts of it but I can't possibly write you a step by step guide as it would take far too long and in any case each person's requirements are different.

As well as the suggestion in my last post, you will find other examples online (or possibly in the sample databases area of this forum)

Good luck

Czeszyn

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ridders
Yeah, I would like to see the demos. Could you recommend any youtube sites that might also help. I haven't did VB coding before. So this is probably more advance, but willing to try and learn.
Tony

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Click the link on my signature line to go to my website
There are 2 DEMOS available - they are big files.
Neither are current versions but that won't matter for your purposes
The form image I posted is from the School Data Analyser program

There are loads of good videos on You Tube. For example:
Those by Steve Bishop are excellent and form a complete course in using Access - actually 3 courses - beginner / intermediate / advanced

Fellow forum user Tony Hine (Uncle Gizmo) has also done a lot and these are also very good.

I've also done a few (not to the same high standard) but they are mainly related to explaining features of my own programs so not as useful to you ...

If you've not done VB coding before, you should follow Steve Bishop's course and do some simple VBA coding BEFORE attempting this project
I would make this a goal to aim at - if you try & start with this, I think you would find it very difficult

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom