IT Coordinator (1 Viewer)

leroy.trosclair

Local time
Today, 03:10
Good Day,

I am an experience programmer mostly during the COBOL to VB time frame. As the job has evolved into being more of a maintenance pgmr, due to fact that I have always ended up in a job that uses 3rd party applications, I spend most of my days now in a trouble shooting/minor mod. role. I got out of the big shop environment and work for a mom & pop operation. Only IT person on site with approx. 40 office personnel & 40 vessels(tug boats). Each vessel runs 3 machines with dedicated 3rd party apps. for each machine/responsibility. All code issues/improvements are reported back to vendor for mods. I have been tasked with doing a few internal office type apps(i.e. Purchase order, job costing). Always been a nuts and bolts type of pgmr where we do all aspects of the program control(COBOL) to rookie VB6 coding(pgmr control), thus having a IDE that does so much of the work(as long as you understand what all the control/properties do) sometimes gets confusing. So I come here to day as a newbie(kind of) in the world of Access. I have watched all the videos on youtube in the "Programming in Microsoft Access 2013". Hosted by Steve Bishop, and a DVD training series my company purchased. I have worked with power relational db product such as oracle, understand the concept of table definition/relationships, etc. Form design, report design. Just need a push now and then in how to do specific actions via controls/properties in Access. Would like to have more control over app. functions by using VBA and feel confident approaching development that way. Enough with all the blabber, hope this gives some insight to my experience and smooth sailing on the forums. Thanks.

Leroy

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:10
Welcome aboard Leroy!

leroy.trosclair

Local time
Thanks Paul. I have been working thru other post on cascading combo boxes(that's my issue right now), hoping to find my solution. If I can't I will start a new thread with my particular question.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:10

leroy.trosclair

Local time
jdraw, appreciate the resources. I was able to figure out my issue with cascading combo box. I was cascading on a subform and in the criteria of the query, I was referencing it as [form!subform!cbo_field] and it wouldn't work. I found this thread 'https://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=219997&highlight=cascading+combo+boxes' and way down on the thread, bellemmar stated "Thanks, I figured it out! My category query only referenced the MAIN FORM & NOT THE SUBFORM". That's when it hit me, what I wanted to do is : [form!mainform!subform!cbo_field], again one of those things you learn from 'seat-time'. Most of the cascading examples cover the main form approach, haven't run across any that show cascading on subform. The site did payoff after I put in the research time. Many Thanks, and I realize this isn't the location for discussion, please feel free to relocate this thread in the appropriate group. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom