Connecting to an Oracle View (1 Viewer)

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:43
I had a problem last Friday with connecting to two Oracle views from an Access database. New computers were installed and now had Windows 10 on them instead of Windows 7. About eight years ago the IT Department set up an ODBC connection to two Oracle views. When we first set it up, the IT guy had to install an Oracle "patch" as he called it, in order for us to make the connection. We had to do this several times over the years as they refreshed the computers. It always worked.

Friday, the IT guy again installed the patch. His ODBC connection was successful. But, every time we tried to set up the connection via the Access database it would not let us do it. After several attempts, I found articles on the net that said Windows 10 did not have the drivers to support ODBC connectivity for ACCDB databases. We have 2013 on the new computers. We had 2007 with Windows 7 before. We did not have any 2003 disks available to try. I may be able to attempt this today.

Here is my question. Is there a way, other than ODBC, to connect to an Oracle view? If so, we could use that instead.

Thanks for any help on this.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 18:43
I've connected to Oracle back end from a Windows 7 computer running Access 2010 - I haven't tried connecting to an Oracle view but I suspect it is fine. I can certainly connect to views in SQL Server.

I've only done this at work where I have virtually no visibility of the back end so I don't know if there were views in that database or what version of Oracle it was.

Access is generally good at connecting to databases so try and get a connection to a table in the first instance. Connecting to SQL Server there is an issue if the primary key (or identity in SQL Server ) is big integer. Even then I can connect to the database and see the tables I just can't see the information within the tables that have identities set to big int I don't know if this is a problem which affects Oracle - but again if you can see the tables you have partially connected.

Last edited:

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:43
We used to be able to see the tables but with Windows 10 and Access 2013, the ODBC connection is not there in 2013.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom