Solved Access 2010 Object Navigation Pane size stuck very narrow - won't resize (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 18:53
Note: In May 2014, it happened to me again! I forgot that I had posted this. A Google search returned my post! It didn't make sense. How can I be such a poor communicator with myself?
So... today I added another GIF to explain to myself what I am talking about the next time it happens.

Access 2010 Object Panel Stuck.gif Yesterday, it was all working just great.
About every two hours, the Access 2010 development (front-end) is copied and renamed to a new version.

This morning, opened Access 2010 holding the shift key to go into design mode. The Object payne was very narrow (see attachment). It can not be resized.
Created a New Access blank DB, no problem. Open my saved project, the Navigation Pane wont resize in this project. So, this shows it is not my Access application, the problem is saved in an Access project.

Note on my attachement - The Search for the Navigation payne is showing. Found an article for Access 97 with the exact same problem. The article said to turn off the Search.

Closed the Search Bar. Now my stuck navigation panel resize worked fine. Re-opened the Search Bar. All works as normal. To turn off the Search: Right-click on the top of the Navigation Pane and turn the search off with the immediate menu.

Was going to ask a question, found the answer and posted this as Solved.

Attachments

• CloseTheSearchBar.png
    CloseTheSearchBar.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,861
Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Thanks Bob, I wasted part of a morning to figure this out and want anyone else who encounters this strange situation to understand the solution.
Solution: Close the Search Bar

See atttachment: turn off the Search and it un-sticks the Navigation Pane re-size ability - then turn the Search Bar back on.

Forgot to mention that a Compact and Repair Database had no effect.

This morning, the network was down or so painfully slow it was considered down. My Navigation Pane had linked SQL Server tables. No idea if that is what caused it or not.
Several old post on the Internet indicate this problem and solution have been around since Access 97.
Before leaving for home last night, an Access front-end backup was made. Both copies had the exact same problem.

Hope that explains it.

Attachments

• Access 2010 Object Panel un-Stuck.gif
    Access 2010 Object Panel un-Stuck.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,283

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Not really, it was me. I was seeing in RED after coming in to a broken network and my applicaton stuck like this.
After a cup of coffee, went back to the first post to clean up my emotional post. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If someone else has this problem, please be sure to leave a short note.
I feel like the Charlie Brown comic; Why is my Access always picking on just me?
Just wondering how often this happens.

byTimber

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:53
Rx: Well done!! Thanks for the solution - was driving me crazy as well.......Roger ..

vclink

Local time
THANK YOU! I could not figure out how to resize and your thread saved my day!

rabuayya

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
GEEEENIUS GEEENIUS GENIUS!
Thank you for this post! saved me hours I could have spent pulling hair trying to figure this out!:D

mlarcelet

Local time
Today, 02:53
Hello,

I have the exact same problem : navigation pane stuck with no possibility to resize.

I closed the search bar, exited access and re-opened it : still no way to resize navigation pane.

Did anyone need some other action to fix it ? thanks a lot... it's just terrible to lose such time for such a stupid problem^^

EDIT : Fixed ! hit F11 : then you can resize the pane...

ewan97

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:53
thanks for this solution me and my friend both had this problem (I did it to his computer seeing if he would have the same problem)

great fix!

Local time
Hello,

I have the exact same problem : navigation pane stuck with no possibility to resize.

I closed the search bar, exited access and re-opened it : still no way to resize navigation pane.

Did anyone need some other action to fix it ? thanks a lot... it's just terrible to lose such time for such a stupid problem^^

EDIT : Fixed ! hit F11 : then you can resize the pane...

Thanks, I wasted almost 2 hours since morning, it worked well.

RichardC

Local time
Today, 01:53
Thanks very much for taking the time to post the solution - it was driving me crazy...:banghead:

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Thank you soo much for posting this....I just had this exact issue in Access 2013. very frustrating!

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
I have a form that can replace the navigation pane. It is posted in the sample databases.

md5335

Local time
The solution is not working for me; I may have minimized the pane too much. I can definitely get rid of the Search but no resize arrows.

md5335

Local time
Got rid of search but no resize arrows - any help?:banghead:

Attachments

• Pane in the butt pane.png
    Pane in the butt pane.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 125

md5335

Local time
Found the answer: Click on the header. Hit F11 to close. Panel can now be dragged open again.

I have been working with Access since 1997 and I never ran into this problem before

techexpressinc1

Local time
Found the answer: Click on the header. Hit F11 to close. Panel can now be dragged open again.

I have been working with Access since 1997 and I never ran into this problem before
I had to do all the above and click about for 20 minutes, to get the expansion arrows, a real pain. Thanks for the pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom