need some guidance on building a database that tracks parts usage (1 Viewer)

Jon123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:38
To start with there are only 13 different parts that I need to track. They all have a unique serial number so that is how I will track them. The other problem is that all 13 parts make up a full kit and even tho a part is in say kit 5 today does not mean it will be in kit 5 forever. as pm's occur parts move around and parts sometimes go out for repair or get scrapped or even make it into another kit. So my thoughts are I need a table 'Tble-1' That is the main parts table and holds all the parts available to make the kits. 'Tble-2' would be the kits so parts from the main table selected into the 13 parts that make the kits. So say we are putting together kit 5 and that is made up of 13 parts from the main table, I need those identified in the main table so they don't end up into say kit 6 and so on. Would I use a 3rd tble to store the history of the parts or would I just tie that to the 1st table? What is the best way to structor this kind of database?

Thank you , I hope I made sense

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:38
I see this basic relationship based on what you have provided.

Kit -->KitContainsPart<--Part

But we need more details, and you should write a clear description of what you are dealing with and how they relate to each other. It is the best way to get your tables and relationships identified and tested.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom