MS Certification (1 Viewer)

willknapp

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:55
I've been an Access Developer for close to 15 years now, and the VBA jobs seem to be dwindling, but I see a lot of VB.Net jobs - almost 10 for every VBA job I find. Since I have a lot of VBA experience in both Access and Excel, I figured I'd take on VB.Net. I'd like to get certified, but it appears that Microsoft no longer offers a .Net certification using VB. Am I missing something? And if they, in fact, no longer support VB.Net certification, any suggestions as to which .net language would be easiest to learn given my background? I'm guessing either C# or ASP, but as I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
I looked briefly and guess I can see your point... looks to be certifications now with .Net 4 that simply say that, whereas the ones for .Net 3 were mentioning a programming language.

Perhaps this is due to MS being interested in web apps rather than fat client apps. "Does not matter what language you code in, just make it a web app!" which in MS lingo is ASP.

"Show me web apps working on a stand along disconnected node." Not EVERYTHING must be / could be a "web app"!

willknapp

Registered User.
Local time
I get that they're tailoring their certifications to match the prevailing winds, but since VB is a widely-used language used in ASP programming, I'm just surprised they haven't bothered to allow for the VB track in the certification process.

Oh well, the way I see it, the MCPD cert, though somewhat outdated, will still serve it's value to those employers who are looking for VB developers (of which there seem to be many).

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:55
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-511#fbid=zzQiHnPd3Sh

If you look at a lot of the .NET 4 tests you get the choice of language when you take the test, they just don't have them as separate tests any more.
Exam Topics CoveredThis exam is designed to test the candidate's knowledge and skills for developing applications using Windows Forms, WPF and the .NET Framework 4.

Questions that contain code will be presented in either VB or C#. Candidates can select one of these languages when they start the exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom