Distributing a Split DB to a runtime Environment on a single machine (1 Viewer)

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:08
Access 2013
Development machine: windows 7 x64
Operating machine: windows 10 x64, access run-time (20xx?)

Hello all,

I've been searching and reading threads about creating and distributing split databases as a prepare to distribute mine. Nearly all of the threads I've been reading are geared to a network or multi-user environment. I'm sure the concepts are the same, but I can't seem to get them straight in my own mind.

Project
Project management database for a construction management company j(very small scale at this point in time). The company computer does not have access and so i've developed this DB on my personal machine at home.

The split
I'm ready to split the database. I have two files: 1) project_FE, 2) project_BE. I'll compile the FE to an accde file.

Distribution
There will be up to 4 people using the companies one laptop. My goal is for them to open the FE in a run-time environment, 'manage' the projects they are involved with and close. All the information will be stored to the BE. I'll have a shortcut for the FE stored on the desktop. The FE itself will be saved in a directory on the C-drive. The BE will be saved in a different directory on the C-drive.

upgrading
If and when in the future the company finds it necessary to add a report or increase the functionality of the application, my understanding is that making changes to the FE and then re-linking to the Back end is a fairly straight-forward process. No?

I've laid this out to you as i see the distribution process in my head. I don't necessarily have a specific question for this audience at this time, but if you are reading this and see an obvious flaw in my logic, please feel free to share your thoughts below. I'm sure as I work through this process this week, i'll be generating specific questions and will add them below for the benefit of all.

cheers all

rob l

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sounds about right. Since the BE will be on the same computer, I'd replicated the directory structure on your machine, so you won't even have to relink. Hopefully the BE will get backed up!

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The Backend will be getting backed up as part of the general computer file backup process. The backup will go to both an external hard drive and I believe a cloud platform for both general remote access purposes and for duplication.

Would there be a MS Access specific backup process applicable to this type of situation?

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Update.

I originally posted that the development machine was windows 7, 64 bit. While this is correct, MS Access 2013 itself is 32 bit.

Microsoft doesn't offer a 32 bit run-time environment. I downloaded the most recent alternative, MS access 2010 32 bit run-time. When I tried opening the accde file it prompted me with a version error. When I attempted to open the accdb file, it opened without error.

Baby steps.

Also, sorry for my basic walk through on this forum as it could be a fairly elementary exercise for some.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No specific backup process, just back up the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom