Just installed Sal server 2017 express and the ssms (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 08:00
Haven't had a chance to play much but the fun begins now I think I'll create a access db to play with it.

ahmed_optom

Registered User.
Local time
its fun, but you realise just how powerful and user friendly access is when you start messing around with sql/mysql.

Dreamweaver

Local time
its fun, but you realise just how powerful and user friendly access is when you start messing around with sql/mysql.

Yep it's not wysiwyg it's a nightmare waiting to jump on you one late lonely night I'm only looking to be able to create DB's with it I really don't want to be a DBA lost enough hair already :D

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:00

Your perception of power will depend on what you know about SQL server and its Management interface. Anyone who writes SQL in MSSQLSMS would consider Access featureless or worse.

SQL Server supports a far simpler join syntax as well many more joins in queries such as OUTER APPLY, CROSS APPLY and FULL OUTER JOIN to name a few.

Table Valued Functions that return a table that can be used in a join.

SQL can run .NET complied functions. It can read and write to the file system. File tables present themselves as a File System Share. Putting files into the table is as simple as copying the file into a folder.

Full Text Search allows the content of these files to be indexed. The indexes can be queried to find any word combinations occurring near each other in the documents.

SQL server supports connections straight into LDAP databases such as Windows Active Directory. I can directly query anything about my users without resorting to masses of VBA like I had to in Access.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
+1 @ Glaxiom comments !

Full Outer joins are a delight when you try and do something like compare 2 stock tables for all the differences. (e.g what is in both but qty differs , what is missing from A and what is missing from B)

Try doing that in access without leaping through a lot of hoops.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Lol I've yet to get there at the moment I'm to busy to get into it I'm sure when I do I'll find it very usefully and maybe even better than access but at the monent I'm a newbee with no real understanding of it but I have books so will learn and then there's alway the kind people here.

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
On iPad so not easy to type.

Must add:

1) common table expressions (CTEs)
2) window functions in queries (lead, lag, row_number(), etc)
3) real triggers bound to data
4) real constraints bound to data
5) cross database/ Cross server queries
6) XML support for queries (multirow to CSV)
7) excellent monitoring with system views

Coupled with an access front-end.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom