MS Access (iPad, iPhone, Cloud) (1 Viewer)

Global_Access

Local time
Today, 16:19
Hello,

We have been looking and watching the market for products that allow an MS Access database to be utilized on iPads, iPhones and in the Cloud.

Today we learned of a new product called Cellica Database for the iPad and have started an evaluation but after reading the 120 page user guide the product is impressive.

We are currently working to confirm the number of concurrent users of iPads against a single MS Access database and will update this post when we have more information.

Regards,

Global Access

KavinSmith

Local time
Hello ,
We are looking for same solution for android base devices, after trialing some of solutions we zeroed on "Cellica Database Anywhere".
Currently we are in trial and testing it for our 17 Android tablets. Uptill now we are very pleased with the results we are getting. The syncing is really fast. Also the form designer almost has all the controls we needed to build our requirement. We had some questions while designing the forms and cellica team is really very supportive. We will surely going to have this application in hands of our employees. Hope this will help some one who are looking to use Access database on their multiple android devices.

Thank You,
Kavin Smith

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:19
quickest and easiest way to do it is to RDP or VNC from the tablet into a Windows VM running the FE of the access database.

Simples!

Edit: the only problem I have run into using this method is if the Tablet is operating from a mobile network connection, however if the mobile signal is OK the problem doesnt really present itself (unless you're using GPRS)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
I too am curious about solutions such as these.....How would it work if you have VBA in your FE? what about if you need some VBA or at least data validation on the forms for the mobile app?

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
I too am curious about solutions such as these.....How would it work if you have VBA in your FE? what about if you need some VBA or at least data validation on the forms for the mobile app?

Im wondering if the OP belongs to the company that produces the product, which in itself is ok, but maybe he should be upfront about it?

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
quickest and easiest way to do it is to RDP or VNC from the tablet into a Windows VM running the FE of the access database.

Simples!

Edit: the only problem I have run into using this method is if the Tablet is operating from a mobile network connection, however if the mobile signal is OK the problem doesnt really present itself (unless you're using GPRS)

Rod,
I agree with him being upfront if he's from that company....Can you explain what you mean by the RDP or VNC above? I'm a bit new at this....

Thanks,
Gary

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Rod,
I agree with him being upfront if he's from that company....Can you explain what you mean by the RDP or VNC above? I'm a bit new at this....

Thanks,
Gary

RDP and VNC are basically remote desktop connections (RDP being MS's baby built on the back of terminal services). Now if youve got a good enough connection ie you're company has a fibre connection or equivalent connection. you could have many many users connecting from any device that supports RDP/VNC, including iPads/iPhones/Android devices.

Now here's the trick, if you use VMware you can run all these connetions from a single physical node (server), so in effect you could have 20 people using a database from all different devices even if they dont support access.

OK, you're probably wondering what VMware is. VMware is basically a piece of software that allows you to create Virtual Windows machines (doesnt have to be windows), so say youve got one server running VMware, that one server can be running 20 XP client workstations for 20 different users, clever eh!

I guess we're returning to where we started ie Thin client>Mainframe type model

Last edited:

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Just to clarify VMWare is actually a brand of software. The software type is more accurately referred to as a Hypervisor - Any Hypervisor creates virtual machine which exist completely separately on a single machine and I believe they call each of these virtual machines instances.

Unlike conventional software, a hypervisor runs directly on the target hardware’s “bare metal,” instead of as a program in another operating system. This allows both the guest OSes and the hypervisor to perform that much more efficiently.

VMWare is one of the earliest brands of commercial hypervisor software and it debuted in 1998 (according to wikipedia) - Microsoft has something called Microsoft Hyper-V while Citrix have something called XEN Server 6 - it looks like both microsoft and Citrix are playing catch up on the market leader which is VMWare... A modern day hoover.

leslie18

Local time
I am also intending to use Cellica but when I add and open the database it is asking for a Database Authentication which is ironic coz I haven't put any password on the Database. Please help and your advise is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom