Calculated Week ending Date (1 Viewer)

lansel

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
I have a form which was created from a table. In the form I have a Date field and a Weekending Date field. I would like to automatically calculate the weekending date from the date that is entered in the date field. Should I have created the form from a query? I have searched for an answer from the post but now I am confused. I am not very good with Access. Could you please help?

Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:13
Generally, this type of thing

[DorDate]-Weekday([DorDate])+7

where DorDate is my date field, you'd replace with yours. It would violate normalization rules to store the week ending date. I just calculate it on the fly.

lansel

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

So are you saying I can't have the date field calculate the weekending field on the form? If I typed in what you suggested in the date field it would change it to the weekending date in the date field?

Thanks,

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:13
I think that what pbaldy is telling you is that you should NOT be saving the week ending in a table field because it is a calculation. Just calculate it when and wherever it is needed with the expression that was given. On a form, the expression would be used as the control source of an unbound text box.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, if you have 2010 you have the new calculated field, but I've never used it. Generally I would just use that formula to display the week ending date where I needed it. On a form, a textbox with a control source of:

=[DorDate]-Weekday([DorDate])+7

would work.

lansel

Registered User.
Local time
I went in and added the formula to the unbound text box and it worked but when I went to the next record I received an error message saying I must enter a value in the weekending date field. What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm not sure; I tested and records with a blank date field simply displayed blanks in the week ending date textbox. Can you post the db here?

lansel

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have been away from my desk most of the day. I worked on the problem some more and I finally got it to work. I still don't know what I was doing wrong. But thank you very much for your help!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem!

Triggsie69

Local time
Today, 12:13
DATEADD("D", (8 - WEEKDAY(FinishedDateTime))MOD(7), FinishedDateTime) AS WeekEnding
This is what I had to do to allow my WeekEnding query field to stay within the same week (finishing on a Sunday) when the FinishedDateTime value was a Sunday. The other methods kept pushing the weekending to the next week (+7 days).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the site. Is there a question, or did you not realize this thread was 7 years old?

Triggsie69

Local time
Today, 12:13
Hi pbaldy,
Thanks for the welcome. I did not notice that it was an old thread. It did present as a highly relevant thread when searching for a solution so I thought it would be good to post a solution that gets around the issue of pushing a Sunday to the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom