Current Event: New season of The Expanse (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:25
Crowdfunded episodes on SiFi network with teams of writers who actually understand .... engineering and science.
Warning: don't watch the 2nd season just released until watching the first season.
The Expanse has the record for the largest budget of any TV series.
We can only hope this quality is a trend to escape the Hollywood dribble that writers produce.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:25
Added to watchlist!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 08:25
My only fear is that SyFy has a long-established track record of meddling with and unintentionally sabotaging (and sometimes outright cancelling) their best and most popular shows.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:25
Totally agree with how they cancel great shows, and it seems it is to make room for yet another zombie one. Of course that is a gross exaggeration since zombies are gross.
Highly suggest looking at the fan base that drives this one.
They have a committee of advisors from the set design to the script that covers many engineering skills. It is impressive at many levels. Highly suggest watching the "making of" short series about that and visiting the web site.
A long, long time ago in a State Far, Far way... I got to meet Gene Rodenberry(sp) of Start Trek fame after the first series was canceled.
He concluded that it was "soap commercials" that funded the series. So, if only intelligent people watched the series and were insulted by the soap commercials, they didn't buy soap and therefore wouldn't advertise, leading to the show being dropped.
So, Follow The Money and that will determine if a show says or drops.
For that reason, another favorite show of mine "Mike Tyson Mysteries" only had two seasons.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
My only fear is that SyFy has a long-established track record of meddling with and unintentionally sabotaging (and sometimes outright cancelling) their best and most popular shows.

Defiance... :(

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Battlestar Galactica. During its second season, it was so good that Time magazine called it the best show on television.

Then the suits took notice, looked at the show, and decided it was doing everything wrong. So for season 3, they especially insisted that no one was interested in the long, complex, season-long storylines and that it needed to instead be an episodic, short-story-of-the-week format just like Star Trek: The Next Generation with no development or storyline.

And of course, ratings immediately tanked, followed quickly by threats to cancel the show. It is amazing that the show ever got a 4th season.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
We won't even mention what they did to Farscape.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Caprica was an incredibly good series that was unceremoniously dumped. Ostensibly it was a prequel to Battlestar Galactica, but it would have been much more acceptable as a standalone series.

Battlestar Galactica started off very well, but then descended into foolishness (and that is being polite).

The Dresden Files was another very good series that held much promise but was cancelled after one season.

The Expanse appears to hold much promise. I am already way behind in watching the second season.

The SyFy channel had a posting forum. The posts, because of the SyFy Channel egregious canceling of series, seemed to be getting increasingly hostile posts. The forum (at an unknown time to me) was taken down by the SyFy Channel. I had stopped visiting the forum. I don't know whether the forum has been restored or not. I haven't felt much like "reconnecting".

Last edited:

youyiyang

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:25
I like SiFi very much from my junior middle school and perhaps I am quite few to like this at that time in my country. I still remember when I was attracted by the movie ''Empire Strikes Back" broadcast from a local television station. And the TV set is just black and white at that time. Then I watched the movie Superman I and II in my junior middle school and like this hero immediately. Now US SiFi movies or TV dramas are everywhere in China.
The West World is perhaps the most popular one in China now. But I have not watched yet.
But do you know Chinese SiFi ?
Do you know The Tree Body?
I was heard that Mark Zuckerberg and Former US president Obama is reading this novel. I have just finished reading it one month ago. But I don't know whether it is suited for making a movie or a TV drama or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom