Other Forums (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:24
I was reminded today why I spend 99.1% of my Access time on this forum. The egos on some of those “other” forums...absotively, posilutley pathetic.

That is all...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:24
I had some luck with the Excel forum recently, but I know what you mean about egos.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:24
I think all forums that I use have their share of egos, including AWF.
There's an obvious pattern there if anyone chooses to join the dots....

However, the site that I have found most off putting is definitely Stackoverflow where every post is judged and then may arbitrarily be rated as low quality.

I no longer post at SO. The final straw was when a site admin deleted my post as being off topic and therefore low quality. Immediately afterwards the same points were made by another long term member.
Guess what. That post was then voted up as the accepted solution

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
On this particular site, I posted a link to a thread on AWF. One of the Mods deleted my post and sent me PM about posting solutions from a “rival” site.

Rival...?!? Gimme a break. And that’s just the tip. This guy needs a 12 step program.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:24
Some of the moderators at the Excel Forum are - shall we say - aggressive?

My recent foray into building a diagram using Excel ended up as a success but the moderator gigged me for appending to a thread and for cross posting. And I was the one who revealed the cross-post.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've seen similar things on various forums. Some don't think it's a good idea to highlight cross posters; some don't want any links to other forums; still others don't want any offsite links. My view is that forums are made up of volunteers offering help/advice to those posting questions/issues/problems and help can be in many forms including links to other sources(forums, sites, articles..). I like to think, and try to confirm, that a poster has given an honest effort. There are those that just want someone to solve their problem while they show no interest, no effort and minimal interaction. And there are some that just want to rant or complain.
I have been criticized and warned about providing links to other forums and now rarely go to Bytes --even though they have some great info.
Suffice to say each forum has a range of participants, participation and culture -- but AWF is more tolerant and helpful than most.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:24
I'm a moderator on a couple of forums, I guess tolerant ones. I can understand that from the owner's perspective, a link to another forum is a bit like a link to Burger King on the McDonald's website, but I've never had an owner ask me to stop it and I've never mentioned it to a poster or asked anybody not to do it.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I visit a number of forums. At least in the Crystal Reports world I have yet to see any issues. Sometimes if another forum has a solution for the issue. I have not hesitated to post that information or provide a link.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
For myself, I've been coming here as I've found this site seems to have the best needle to hay ratio in the haystacks I'm looking through. Also seems one that doesn't advocate throwing yourself into a burning haystack if you don't agree with one person's advice...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well JDraw, you nailed the site and for the same reason. MissingLinq is a member there but he doesn’t post much there anymore. There are some very impressive Mods there but one in particular is very territorial and there is just no need for all the mess.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The egos on some of those “other” forums...absotively, posilutley pathetic.
I have virtually stopped attempting to ask any questions on the various Stack Exchange forums for those reasons. Nevertheless, searching these forums for answers has proven to be very fruitful.

aimprosoft

Registered User.
Local time
I have virtually stopped attempting to ask any questions on the various Stack Exchange forums for those reasons. Nevertheless, searching these forums for answers has proven to be very fruitful.

Agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom