FIFTY DAY STREAK - Duo Lingo (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:53
I have Just completed a FIFTY DAY STREAK in Spanish with Duo Lingo!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:53
Is that a teaching tool analogous to the Rosetta Stone disks?

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 07:53
Or are you simply running around naked at sporting events?
☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Or are you simply running around naked at sporting events?
☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺

I'm not senile enough for that, not quite yet anyway! Mind you if there was some young ladies of dubious virtue, well I might be tempted...

Reminds me of the joke about the man that went to the gym..
There was a menu,
£50 guaranteed to get you fit in 6 months
£100 guaranteed to get you fit in a month
£1000 guaranteed to get you fit in a weekend..

The guy asked what was this about then? Well said the manager, for 50 quid a visit you get to chase a young lady around and if you catch her you can have your wicked way with her...

What about the £100 run he said? Well for the £100 you get to chase three young ladies around and if you managed to catch one of them you can have your wicked way with all three of them...

And what about the £1000 guaranteed? The manager said - Julian here, pointing to a 7 foot tall ripped muscle bound bodybuilder, is gay and if he catches you he gets to have his wicked way with you!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Doc Man, I suspect I've asked this before, I don't know your name? I looked in my folder where I keep people's names and I haven't got yours? I think you gave it to me once before, but I didn't make a note of it!

I haven't tried Rosetta Stones, I've heard they're very good. I went with Michel Thomas, I do like listening to his discs, he does sound like he's a little bit drunk!

You can find Duolingo on the internet through your PC here:-
https://www.duolingo.com/

It's usable (on the PC) but a little bit awkward. However if you download the app onto your phone, it's very similar to what you see on the website, but the interface is so much better. Half the time you don't have to type your answers because you can just use speech recognition easily from your phone.

You can do the lessons while sat on the toilet first thing in the morning! Sat on the bus, train, plane --- best if you use headphones when you do this.
When you're stood in the store checkout queue... You've always got your phone, so you can always practice whenever you think time is awasting, do some Duolingo-ing!

Going back to the website from your PC

There's Duolingo stories
https://stories.duolingo.com/

These are excellent although I do struggle a bit with some...

Mark_

Local time
reciting in the queue?

Hmm.. wonder if you ever wind up ordering something... odd... because your not answering that "young lady of dubious virtue". Well, at least Julian gets something for your money!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Oh, the other thing I should mention is Duolingo is free!

The major area where I am lacking is actually speaking it. As you can imagine the interface has little opportunity for real speech although there is a slight amount of encouragement when it gets you to say phrases, but it's not the same as actually speaking to someone.

Other things I am doing to improve my Spanish:-
Watching Netflix films and series with the audio in Spanish and subtitles in English. This is limited though, because it's common for there to be vast differences between the audio and the actual subtitle... Mind you it's quite entertaining noting the differences... For instance the audio might say "hola" and the subtitles"Yeah"

There's a brilliant series on Netflix at the moment called "The Sniffer" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sniffer it's about a detective's sidekick who has the super power of being able to smell things and build a picture out of just the smells... It sounds like a stupid superpower but it actually works well. The actors are brilliant. It's Russian, with Russian, Polish and Spanish audio, no English audio, however you've got English subtitles available.. If you wanted to learn Russian, I reckon it would be a good one to watch.... I'm watching it with the Spanish audio and English subtitles. I understand it's won some Awards. --- I'm not surprised....

There are a several apps which link you up with Spanish people who want to learn English and vice a versa... I've tried them a bit, but it's very awkward...

I found a lady in Southampton who does Spanish lessons online. I was talking to her about a year ago, and it quickly became evident I just did not know enough Spanish. However I think I'm getting to the stage where I might benefit from some more lessons with her.... Maybe in another 6 months.

The other thing that is very useful and interesting is - I use Google Translate... I can speak to it in Spanish and it converts it into English. I can see exactly what it thinks I've said and I can keep practicing until I get the pronunciation correct..

Finally my daughter is also learning Spanish, so we have conversations via WhatsApp. We video ourselves saying something, back and too, like that, that works quite well because you can watch the video several times and suss out what the other person said. However she is taking Spanish lessons, not using Duolingo so I think the vocabulary she's learning is a bit different than what I am learning and we often cannot keep an exchange going.... Plus she uses one of these apps which convert her video into a character with a high pitched squeaky voice. It very difficult for me to understand!

Last edited:

Mark_

Local time
Uncle,

It doesn't help that each dialect of Spanish will often have very different meanings for the same phrases. I've sat and watched three people talking in "Spanish". In in Peruvian, another in Castillian, the third in Puertorician. They had to stop every few sentences to have one or another explain what they just said...In ENGLISH...

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:53
This topic piqued my interest.

I've been using Duolingo to study Portuguese since 2015 and it's actually been a great tool. It doesn't really teach you the grammar directly but I've definitely picked up a lot from the quiz-type learning that it offers. Enough to make me interested in getting proper grammar guides and story books from the public library, and I'm subscribed to about 60 Portuguese YouTube videos. I can credit Duolingo for being a catalyst for allowing me to self-study for completely free.

The major area where I am lacking is actually speaking it. As you can imagine the interface has little opportunity for real speech although there is a slight amount of encouragement when it gets you to say phrases, but it's not the same as actually speaking to someone.

Agreed. I found some friends to talk to in Brazil over WhatsApp who are trying to learn English. That way I'm not embarrassed if I say something grammatically wrong and have to be corrected because the people I talk to are also language learners. Actually, being an English speaker is a HUGE advantage if you are trying to connect with someone who is a native speaker of whatever language you are learning because there are SO many people trying to learn English across the world, possibly more than any other language, so there are many choices of partners. This way I am actively speaking the language every day and has been another huge help in learning.

Oh, and my streak is 60 days right now ;)

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Oh, and my streak is 60 days right now ;)

Congratulations! keep it up! - Let's have a little competition let's see if one of us, both of us can get to 100!

It doesn't really teach you the grammar directly

No, I know what you mean, but it's the repetition which counts... I was on Duolingo and I said "Una rojo falda" my son said that's a red dress, yes I said well nearly a skirt and it turns out he's been doing Duolingo as well... And I said to him it's easy, it's just a case of being constant doing it all the time, hence the importance of doing it everyday. I have it set on the maximum 50 points, but I very often do over 100 points a day. I don't see how it could be better, although it is sometimes a bit repetitive, but then again that's probably a good thing...

I've been using Duolingo to study Portuguese

I wondered about doing Portuguese next, I'm not sure whether to do Portuguese or Catalan.. The trouble with Catalan is I can only do it from the Spanish interface. in other words I will need to be pretty good at Spanish to be able to learn Catalan!

I'm subscribed to about 60 Portuguese YouTube videos.

Now that might be handy to see the subscriptions you've got their, if at all possible! Any chance of me linking up to your YouTube channel?

And by the way thank you for commenting on this thread, it's much appreciated...

Last edited:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:53
Congratulations! keep it up! - Let's have a little competition let's see if one of us, both of us can get to 100!

Over the past 3 years I have gotten to 100 a few times, then either because I just can't make the time OR because sometimes Duolingo just loses your streak, I've had to be reset.

I have it set on the maximum 50 points, but I very often do over 100 points a day. I don't see how it could be better, although it is sometimes a bit repetitive, but then again that's probably a good thing...

Have you finished all the "chapters" or are you still working on those? I started in Aug 2015 and finished in October or so, and I've just been practicing daily since then.

I wondered about doing Portuguese next, I'm not sure whether to do Portuguese or Catalan.. The trouble with Catalan is I can only do it from the Spanish interface. in other words I will need to be pretty good at Spanish to be able to learn Catalan!

My decision would be based on the total number of speakers worldwide, and hence the likelihood of wanting to know it. I will confess that if I'm not mistaken, there are twice the number of Spanish speakers than Portuguese so in hindsight Spanish would have been a better choice. I just love the language, though :)

No that might be handy to see the subscriptions you've got their, if at all possible! Any chance of me linking up to your YouTube channel?

What I can do when I have time is look over my channels and see which of them have Spanish content. Almost all of them are completely Portuguese and would not be helpful. I'll PM you, if that's ok.

Cheers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:53
Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone. I have the CHEAPEST, least function phone I could get to go with the cheapest, lower tier plan. As I tell the sales reps, I refuse to own a phone that has the SLIGHTEST chance of being smarter than me. So I bought a DUMB phone.

I only use my cell phone for roadside emergencies when traveling, or when the wife and I go to our local Wal Mart or one of the big local malls and go our separate ways. Then after a while one of calls the other to ask "Where are you?"

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just hit 100

Excellent! well done! I'm not far behind you, I'm on 91 at the moment. However when I tell people, I feel like an alcoholic whos on the wagon, saying it's 91 days today!

I'm really boosting my Spanish now, I am watching a lot more on YouTube, Spanish speaking English subtitles ( thank you for the excellent links by the way ) and I'm watching several things on Netflix, again Spanish speaking English subtitles.

I've joined the local U3A because they have a beginner Spanish class, I've been twice, got the next class next week... Very good, especially being with other people who are beginners at Spanish.

And finally!
I found an online tutor, I've done 3 hours 1 yesterday and 2 today! I'm going to do a couple more hours next week...

I've downloaded the BBC Mondo app onto my Android, it's the news in Spanish. You can select sections of text and Google will offer to convert it to English so you can read it quite easily and check if you're getting it right..

I'm determined to get myself to the stage where I'm comfortable engaging in small talk in Spanish. I think it's just a case of persistence persistence persistence!

Anyway I'll keep publishing here because I'm sure you will help push me back up on the wagon if I fall off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom