Improve file security in Access databases (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:50
Attached is a Word doc written in reply to a user question at another forum

It contains a long list of items that developers should consider when distributing databases for a multi user environment.

I would be grateful for any feedback including errors or omissions

Attachments

• Improve Security in Access Databases.docx
    20.6 KB · Views: 205

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 07:50
The password to open can be removed and / or changed from an external copy of Access or other VBA enabled program.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:50
Hi IAI
Yes it can indeed as we discussed in relation to one of the security challenges.
I will add that to the similar article which I've just published on my website http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/improve-security/4594461803

Many thanks for reminding me

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:50
One thing that helps to obfuscate the fact that the database is actually Access is to use a totally different extension such as MyDB.WOL

What this does is it prevents Windows from recognizing the file so you have to know it is Access in order to open it. To open the file, give the users a shortcut and the shortcut has to specify the Access path followed by the file name. Usually, I don't do this for the FE because since you have to give them a shortcut, it is easy enough to see how to open the db. It is better for the BE which is what contains the data. This works as long as you can control the linking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom