How to add a record to a table with a link to another table? (1 Viewer)

BadBoy House

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:52
I'm having problems trying to figure out what mechanism to use in order to add a row to a particular table whilst maintaining a link to a corresponding record in another table.

tblJob
New jobs are entered in to this table via a 'New Job' form. Users select a client reference from a dropdown box, enter a booked in date and a proposed bill date. This creates the job on the system.

tblBudget
After a job has been created the user would then need to create a budget. Essentially a budget contains, amongst other things, details of how long staff members will have to complete the job, some calculations etc.

The Budget table is related to the Job table via the JobID field (primary key in the Job table and foreign key in the Budget table)

The problem I have is that I can't figure out what mechanism to use in order to add a row to the Budget table (i.e. create a new budget) that includes a link to the corresponding Job ID in the Job table.

I will need users to be able to choose to create a new budget and for the new budget entry to be added to the budget table with the link to the relevant job to entered as well.

I hope this all makes sense. I can provide details of the fields in each table if required.

Many thanks in advance.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:52
try a budget subform with master\child link on jobid

BadBoy House

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:52
Thanks - I'll give that a go.

Users who are viewing this thread