Exchange Online (Office 365) and Access (1 Viewer)

icepaw

Local time
Today, 02:42
I am trying to write some VBA code to add a calendar entry into a mail-enabled public folder calendar and also send an email to a distribution group. Now I have previously done this with an On-premise exchange, but times have changed and now exchange is 'in-the-cloud'. My code seem to struggle to find the folders (Outlook is open, I have permissions, can do the whole thing manually) and then I though....lets ignore VBA and just link the calendar or even just an inbox to access via the external data route.....And its not there :banghead:

So my (probably very obviously answered) question is...What do I need to do to link my on-premise Access with my cloud exchange so that one can talk to the other

Usual apologies for finding out that this has been answered somewhere, but honestly I've searched

cheers in anticipation

:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Not sure if this will help but it's good to always remember Access is a desktop application, which works well with other desktop applications. If you need to interact with web applications, Access is not always the best tool to use for it. Now, I think we also need to clarify another thing. In the past, when you automate Outlook from Access, it doesn't matter where the Exchange Server is located. I suspect it's still true today. So, as long as you have a desktop version of the Outlook email client, you can have an on-premise Exchange server or a cloud-based Exchange server, Access will still be able to work with the desktop version of Outlook because it is the email client's responsibility to communicate with the Exchange server - not Access. So, based on your question, I am wondering if your Outlook email client is not a desktop app anymore.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:42
Just to add to theDBGuy's advice , I ran into this some time ago, and the "Click to Run" web based versions of any office app are not available for you to automate through VBA, as not to put too fine a point on it, they ain't there anymore.

I'm not sure if there is any way around it. If you haven't got Outlook actually installed you can't work with it, and that's effectively what happens with the web based apps.

icepaw

Local time
Thanks for both replies....that was the answer....have downloaded and installed version...and now all is working

Never crossed my mind that the web based version would be different....

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge out there

Thanks both once again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom