Connecting To Oracle - Instant Client 11.2.0.3 (1 Viewer)

jawilli1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:03
Hi Everyone - I have an access database that has linked tables in an Oracle Database. When the user logs into the access app it does a connection to oracle using their username to determine fine grain access privileges. When I had this database using an old Oracle 9i ODBC client it worked fine, now with Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.3 ODBC i get the following message:

"The connection string is too long. The connection string cannot exceed 255 characters. (3210) encountered."

The connection string is like this:
PHP:
ODBC;DRIVER={Oracle in OraHome92};DBQ=XXXXXXXX;UID=XXXXXXXX;PWD=XXXXXXXXX

This is WAY less then 255 characters so i'm confused.

This is the code it's using to connect (The varConnect is the connection string from above):
PHP:
Set db = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase("", False, False, varConnect)

The Internet has been less the helpful. Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:03
has anything changed other than the drivers? New OS, new office, etc?

jawilli1

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the response! No, nothing else has changed. The only change is the drivers. I've tried various versions of the 11g driver and they all give the same response.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Do you know what version the Oracle database is you're trying to connect to, is it version 9, 8, 7, etc?

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
The only time I've seen this issue happen, is when we converted to Windows 7, Oracle didn't like the Program Files (x86) folder path, if the office path was changed, or Access was launched with a shortcut that removed the parenthesis from the path it was ok.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
1 -Do you have documentation for, or have you spoken to Oracle regarding, this new Client.
Sounds to me that some parameters have changed.

2 - Have you tried going to an Oracle forum to see if others have had this issue with Instant Client 11.2.0.3 and 11gR2?

jawilli1

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all of the replies! I haven't seen anything specific about the ODBC use in the 11g client having issues like this, both on the general net and on the oracle forums. I think you are right, though, in that something is different.

As a side note, I broke down and decided to (for the heck of it) replace my 11g instant client with the newest 10g instant client (10.2.0.5). Once I did that everything connects with no problems at all... I'm going to keep trying to track down the issues between the clients / drivers, but I've gotten the pass from management to use that 10g driver for now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom