Going to build my own PC box, (1 Viewer)

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
Today, 08:03
whose mother board does everything think is best?

last one i built was an MSI board,
and its fine, i just don't know how long it will last. . .

thanks

sportsguy

Local time
Today, 22:03
For AMD

My choice would be GA-K8NXP-SLI as this board has everything but the kitchen sink. It has SLI for Exceptional 3D gaming, 8 SATA ports including SATA II with raid support, it can run any Skt 939 Athlon 64 Chip. It also has Firewire 800 ports (800Mbps).At around the $250 Australian it's not bad value.

CPU's

Suggest the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU (For Best Value High Performance)
Suggest the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU (For Best Value Budget)

For Intel (my choice)

I'd use the Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe. This board has support for 1,066 MHz Front side bus (when ever they become available) plus Firewire, dual raid, and gigabit Ethernet. It has SLI and Pentium D Support. Price is around $300 Australian. Asus boards often are not cheap but as usual you pay for what you get.

CPU's

Suggest the Intel Pentium-D 830 CPU (For Best Value High Performance)
Suggest the Intel Celeron-D 351 CPU (For Best Value Budget)

Anyone of these combined with a Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS Hard Drive should perform exceptionally well for years to come. There’s not much difference between the 4 major manufacturers of hard drives in terms of price but Western digital seem to perform well and also keep the heat down which is always a bonus. They are also among the first drives to support SATA 300 (SATA II) This HDD is 250GB with 8Mb Cache.

As For Graphics Cards I'd go with Nvidia GeForce 6600GT if your on a budget or the Nvidia GeForce 7800GT for best Value High Performance.

The GeForce 6600GT is available in AGP8x and PCI-Express the PCI Express version is SLI ready and at $250 Australian you would have to spend over $350 to get a better G/Card.

The GeForce 7800GT out performs Radeons X850XT by a long shot and even though Radeon have announced there X1800 and X1300 Series chips I still have not seen anything better Than the GeForce 7800GT (at a reasonable price)

Burner

The only choice in my opinion is the Pioneer DVR-110 This DVD Burner burns everything from DVD-RAM to Double Layer DVD-R. At around $85 Australian HAH! Well what else needs saying. I remember when DVD burners where $290 Australian :(

Let's not forget around June we should see the release of the new 965 chipset. The 965 will replace everything from 955X and down, and will include support for 533 MHz, 800 MHz and 1,066Mhz FSB's, as well as DDR2-800 memory. If you want the latest might be worth waiting for?
Intel are also releasing a new Southbridge Chipset ICH8 which will include more SATA ports (having a total of 10), a total of 10 USB ports and other bit's and pieces including Gigabit Ethernet.

The Choice Is Yours

Dean

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
Today, 08:03
Thanks

Anyone of these combined with a Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS Hard Drive should perform exceptionally well for years to come. There’s not much difference between the 4 major manufacturers of hard drives in terms of price but Western digital seem to perform well and also keep the heat down which is always a bonus. They are also among the first drives to support SATA 300 (SATA II) This HDD is 250GB with 8Mb Cache.

Well, I would prefer a SATA II drive with 16 M cache, versus 8 M. I got my son a 16M SATA 150 drive with WinXP64 and I have never seen a PC actually boot in under 10 seconds. . . It screams. . .

was looking at a some of the new boards for the D 940 chip, and its a bit pricey at the moment. .. but i am going to build this cheaply. . . buying on sale items one item at a time for no more than $200 per month. . . until i get the thing built.

sportsguy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom