Access Table Structure (1 Viewer)

haxan786

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:07
Hello

I am beginner in access, I am designing database for our power plant generation. I have 5 forms for data entry. Daily Declaration, Downward Rev.1,Downward Rev.2, Downward Rev.3, Upward Rev and Temp Adjustment. Every form have 24 entries for every hour.

Hours-----Temp-----Unit-Load
00-01-------1---------300----
01-02-------2---------299----

Should I assign every reading in column or is there any easy solution. Assigning in columns will exceed the 255 column limit.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:07
Hi. Welcome to the forum. To properly design a database, you would normally begin with the table structure before thinking about creating data entry forms. One important concept in database design is called the "normalization" rules. It should help you decide which fields your tables should have.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:07
Where is the data coming from and what are you going to do with it after you have it?

You do need to have some understanding of normalization before you start this process mostly because of the type of data you have is going to make you want to design the tables incorrectly.

For starters, each unit-load entry will be a separate row in a table with four fields rather than two columns (temp, unitLoad) * 24 for each hour or 2 * 24 * 24 columns for each day.

haxan786

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:07
Where is the data coming from and what are you going to do with it after you have it?

You do need to have some understanding of normalization before you start this process mostly because of the type of data you have is going to make you want to design the tables incorrectly.

For starters, each unit-load entry will be a separate row in a table with four fields rather than two columns (temp, unitLoad) * 24 for each hour or 2 * 24 * 24 columns for each day.

This data will be used to get hourly shortfalls, generation and many more...and finally the Monthly invoice is also printed in hourly reading.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:07
Hi

Can you upload a screenshot of how you currently record this information?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:07
How do you get the data? Does someone take manual readings and record them or does your equipment make a log that you export periodically? In either case, the data is recorded ONE data point at a time and for analysis purposes that is also how it should be stored. Data in a relational database such as Access is long and skinny (lots of rows, few columns). Data in a spreadsheet is short and fat (few rows, lots of columns).

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:07
you can have it in one form, with subforms.

Attachments

• PowerPlant.zip
    69.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom