NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (2 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:51
I am just pointing out the inconsistencies in the messaging, I am not a junior scientist like so many who comment with authority within this thread. I have used a Bunsen burner once or twice, that has to count for something.:)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:51
I am just pointing out the inconsistencies in the messaging, I am not a junior scientist like so many who comment with authority within this thread. I have used a Bunsen burner once or twice, that has to count for something.:)

Hmm. "Junior scientist" is another one of your pejorative statements. I am a scientist by training and taught science for almost 40 years. When will I stop being 'junior' in your expert view?

When I respond to Access based questions on the forum, I try to only do so for areas where I feel knowledgeable/competent. If a question is about an area where I know little, I don't answer. Exactly the same point applies to non-Access issues such as this topic.

In all areas of life there are inconsistent messages. As regards climate change the vast majority of scientists agree with the overall trend of events. Climate models are becoming more refined every year. The message is becoming ever clearer. Any inconsistencies in the messages are largely from those with no relevant training but an axe to grind and a media platform to spread their opposing views.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Any inconsistencies in the messages are largely from those with no relevant training but an axe to grind and a media platform to spread their opposing views.
So you are saying the notion we only have "12 years to live" is derived from the opposition side? Huh, that's an interesting theory. I was under the impression Al Gore is a left leaning ideologue who believed the world was ending 20 years ago. Does that mean Al Gore is in opposition to the opposition? I'm so confused.:p

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Almost all of the last reply is incorrect.
Nobody involved in climate change research stated that 'we only have 12 years to live' 20 years ago nor is anyone saying it now ... other than those deliberately or otherwise misrepresenting those warning about climate change issues.
Al Gore did a reasonable job of raising awareness of climate issues but he is no left leaning ideologue nor is he particularly important in this field.
I do wonder whether you believe any of what you say or whether you are just trying to wind people up. Occasional witty comments at best but never any facts to back up your views.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I do wonder whether you believe any of what you say or whether you are just trying to wind people up. Occasional witty comments at best but never any facts to back up your views.
Busted! I knew you would eventually catch on. ;) Have a great weekend.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Con trails are thought to have a noticeable warming effect

The harmful effects of aircraft con trails on the atmosphere have been known about for decades. Damage to the ozone layer is one such effect. In fact this was covered in detail in one of my final year courses at university in 1973.

Similarly, the effects of solar cycles aren't new information. In fact this topic has been covered repeatedly in this lengthy thread. The fact is that global temperatures are steadily increasing year after year despite being close to a solar minimum

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Nasa's top 5 reasons for climate change.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

We did manage to knock the CFCs (almost) off the list. Volcano's and sea currents will always be a main contributor. Missing is the solution, and the condemnation of the left for their crazy doomsday scenarios. The re-distribution of wealth around the world is the real motivator here, a new socialized one world.

Attachments

• Climate.PNG
    Climate.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 464

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
One of the strangest things I've ever seen in my life, and I say strange not because it happened, as, in a way, it's normal on the internet these days! But what wasn't "Normal" was that it happened between two such very nice and respected members of this forum. It's bothered me more than I realised. I was listening to this podcast:-

The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast
34 - The Perilous State of the University - Jonathan Haidt
21 Nov 2017 · 96 min · (87.6 MB)

As you may know I'm interested in Dr Jordan B Peterson . JBP is a keen pod-caster and interviewer interviewing various "Thinking" persons. In this interview:- "The Perilous State of the University" JBP is interviewing Dr. Jonathan Haidt - JH has written several books one of them titled "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion" This topic was briefly broached in the interview and I note that JH mentioned normal everyday people being overtaken by religion, not the Christian, Jewish Buddhist, Muslim type of religions, but a basic underlying mechanism present in everyone. Everyone/anyone has a tendency towards a type of religious thinking, a religious fervour!

It reminded me of something someone said about the nature of the exchange in THIS THREAD, the negative and animosity in the exchange, which was likened to religion.

The podcast is easy to listen to on your PC or your mobile, whilst driving, sitting on the train, whenever you find yourself apparently wasting your time! You can absorb something useful. I recommend you listen to podcasts, and particularly this one!

Cheers Tony

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Not only has the religious angle been over played, but think about the words racist, hitler, nazi and fascists. Those words have been rendered meaningless. Its a comment you make if you don't like someones shoes.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This article leads to an interesting conclusion on solar warming.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2019/07...-reduces-pv-production-potential-by-up-to-13/

There's been a reduction in solar radiation available for solar collection panels across China.

Extract 1:-
the researchers found solar irradiance decreased 11–15% over the 55 years studied.

Extract 2:-
Human-driven aerosol emissions and changes in cloud cover were identified as two main factors

Now this reduction isn't due to CO2, it's due to aerosol particles and water vapour in the atmosphere amongst other things.

My observation is that it seems inprobable that such a small increase in CO2 can have such a major effect on the climate.

It is more likely a convenient association, and/or possibly a politically motivated distortion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The biggest issue with science in my opinion, is that science is in it's infancy when it comes to knowledge. My guess is we will be destroyed by an unforeseen asteroid long before we die from climate change.

A Massive Asteroid Got Extremely Close To Earth And Scientists Didn't Know Until It Was Only Days Away

With all of the high tech at NASA's disposal, you would think that they would have noticed a 427-foot-wide asteroid barreling towards Earth, but sometimes things slip past their watch. On Friday, the massive asteroid, now named 2019 OK, got within 45,000 miles of Earth as it passed.
Like the one that hit Russia a couple years ago, they never saw it coming. Low on the horizon, and blocked by the sun.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:51
AB, you are probably right about that. And sometimes I think we don't deserve to see it coming. But then I realize that is fatalistic. But that attitude is getting harder to avoid these days. What really popped my cork recently is that now the Climate Change crowd has changed their minds on the timetable yet again to claim we have 18 months or less.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-en...ge&link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

One of the candidates for the USA Presidential race is claiming the number is closer to 14 months.

https://thinkprogress.org/we-dont-have-12-years-to-save-the-climate-we-have-14-months-71401316dbc4/

There is no way any world-wide response of the implied magnitude could possibly be done in that time frame. Which means that we are all doomed anyway.

All I will offer as opinion, to be taken as such, is that so many other predictions of the end of the world from various causes have been uttered since I was old enough to notice, that it becomes impossible to differentiate this "end of the world" headline from any other ones of any source. Particularly since so many of the predictions made by the Climate Change crowd have not come true, it is clear that they do not know any more than anyone else does what is actually going on. Thus it is hard to accept their many gloom-and-doom predictions now when their prior predictions were so very poor.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
There is no way any world-wide response of the implied magnitude could possibly be done in that time frame. Which means that we are all doomed anyway.
There is the rub, the unrealistic timeline. Its coming faster then we thought, and there is little time to fix it. So lets transfer a third of the worlds wealth just in case.;)

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
There is the rub, the unrealistic timeline. Its coming faster then we thought, and there is little time to fix it. So lets transfer a third of the worlds wealth just in case.;)

Reminds me of a comedy routine about a "Televangelist"

Praise the lord, put your hands on the T.V. set, and...
Put your money in the basket...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

Many of the guests, including Obama and DiCaprio – who has his own climate change foundation – have described global warming as the biggest threat to future generations.
“Google Camp is meant to be a place where influential people get together to discuss how to make the world better,” another insider told the Post. “There will likely be discussions about online privacy, politics, human rights, and of course, the environment, which makes it highly ironic that this event requires 114 private jets to happen.”

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 311

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom