Remove Thread deleting privileges (1 Viewer)

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 01:03
Hello,

I am not sure how many agree with me, but Deleting threads privilege should not be given to everyone. People pop in and ask a question, and once they get their answer they simply delete the thread, this makes the Forum less helpful for many.

As I normally refer to Old post to get some clarification. If people keep deleting then, there would be nothing to refer back to.

This privilege should be given only for Admin/Mod. If a user wishes to remove the thread they can request it to be deleted, only if it is a valid reason (harassment/abuse/hate speech) the thread can be deleted.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
I agree, to a point. I think the OP should be able to delete a thread, but ONLY if there are no responses on it. It defeats much of the usefulness of the site to delete threads with answers, as the searchable archive would be lost.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 21:03
Most threads that are deleted, if not all, are caught by the moderating team pretty quickly and addressed as such. I don't think we have a need to take the function away based on a few people who actually do this practice. It's pretty rare.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
I agree with Paul’s condition for Thread deletion in post #2.

I would also suggest that Posts within a Thread should not be deleted.

The Posts go out via Email yet they may not exist when someone comes to site.

The deleted Posts can also renumber other posts so references to a Post number can get broken.

The person who makes the Post can edit it and they can leave a reason they did so. I would much rather see something like this in a Post “Please disregard this Post, it’s a load of rubbish” rather than someone trying to hide their rubbish. I know they could edit their Post to hide the rubbish but that’s a bit more work.

It may also help people to think more carefully before they post.

I don’t know how much work it would take, or if it’s even possible, but I agree with Paul Eugin in Post #1 in this matter.

Chris.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
I occasionally go through and restore them and PM the party to tell them not to delete if someone has answered. If someone has not answered then it is fine for them to be deleted. But the second someone has answered it should not be deleted.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Posts go out via Email yet they may not exist when someone comes to site.

I had an odd experience with something like that.

The post was to the code samples thread. These posts are subject to moderation and I posted a reply with comments about the code provided and waited for my post to be moderated.

And waited .. and waited until I eventually asked a mod what was going on. They said there were no posts waiting for moderation. Yet I could still see it on my computer.

Three weeks later the page was deleted from my browser cache and could no longer be found.

I eventually realised the original poster had deleted the thread.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
I believe a User should be able to delete their post for a limited time.

Shall we say a few hours. However no post should be deleted if an answer has been lodged.

In the case of a reply been made they would have to contact a Moderator.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time

Shall we say a few hours. However no post should be deleted if an answer has been lodged.

A time limit sounds like the most suitable way to do this to me as well.

Really though, I hate when people delete threads, even if they found a solution elsewhere. Why not post the solution here? :banghead:

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Vassago

People are people.

Fact one is that we all have our likes and dislikes.

Fact two is that we cannot totally control what people can do.

At least we are in agreement that we don't particularly like posts being deleted.

The other thing is that we do not like editing which can totally change the meaning of parts of the post.

Perhaps the next discussion should be around Editing. A carefully edited post can be far more misleading than a deleted post even though they may place a note for the reason of the edit.

What we need to do is to create and implement a suitable rule.

I will leave it with you.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
OOPS !! have been a bit busy, did not get time to post back..

I never knew that a thread can be completely deleted, until a Mod gives an all clear sign.. That seems to be a good.. If this is not too much hassle for Mods then the current system could be fine..

However in another Forum where I am a member of, (cannot remember which one) they have a post count threshold for giving them privilege to delete the threads something like 25.. Anyone who has used the Form for at least a few instances would know the importance of thread discussions, so would not delete it.. If the user is a "Newbie", they have to request it to be deleted.. Could this be an alternative?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I agree with the idea of no deletion of posts or threads once a response has occurred, until that has happened I see no harm in it. As far as I am concerned that is the only rule needed.

Brian

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 02:03
Strike_Eagle deleted the thread while I was typing my second post in it. I'd wish one could draw and quarter via the Web :D

If the idiots did post, then they should be stuck with what they post.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03

This seems the best solution to me.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
There is an associated issue. Responses that provide superior solutions. Some websites have "voting" buttons where the question/answer can be voted up or down depending on the quality. I believe (but I do not actually know) that threads identified as "bad" are eventually deleted.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
The thread is the closest thing many of us have to immortality. LOL
But, if there is an answer to a question, I find this site very useful and there are many who probably feel the same.
The (few) (O.K. very few) good answers that I have volunteered time to provide were not just for the one person. It was for the greater good (O.K. somewhat improvement) of other people who search for an answer.
By now, I have lost track of where the conclusion was going.
Can someone provide the concluding answer, I promise not to delete this since it isn't currently enforced.

sumox

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:33
Hello,

I am not sure how many agree with me, but Deleting threads privilege should not be given to everyone. People pop in and ask a question, and once they get their answer they simply delete the thread, this makes the Forum less helpful for many.

As I normally refer to Old post to get some clarification. If people keep deleting then, there would be nothing to refer back to.

This privilege should be given only for Admin/Mod. If a user wishes to remove the thread they can request it to be deleted, only if it is a valid reason (harassment/abuse/hate speech) the thread can be deleted.

ya i Agree with you.

"Delete Post" hyperlink shud lead to a pop-up window which shud
decide whether post has received a reply and a Re-Quote by Thread starter, If Yes, a Request form will appear . If No then the Thread will be Deleted after 7 days without any moderator's stop. The Deleted thread willgoto GarbageBox which will be visible to Everyone User . On clicking
all garbage Threads shud be visible and a Poll Box also agaisnt each thread. If Maximum viewers poll on delete , then finally the thread will be deleted forever. (still mod. can keep copy on server hidden folders)

this or any other design can be made ! as per opinion poll with all highLevel AWF Peoples

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If you are in a thread with a bully or a troll, then get out. You do not lose face in that situation, as a bully/trolls intention is not to win an argument by fair means but by fowl. In other words you cannot win, and by the same token you cannot lose. You only lose if you lower yourself to their level.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
to win an argument by fair means but by fowl.

Yep, in which case you need to give them the bird and get out. ;)

We should never forget that some are more sensitive than others and if they want a poster to stop the poster should stop. I've apologised for posts that I had not thought offensive but the recipient was not happy, it happens.

Brian

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
Remove Site Suggestions, Problem Solved! Ha, Ha! Surely you do not aspire to be like Utter Access!!!
Timed Restriction Works for me.
As far as Edits go, Timed Restriction works for me here also.

Being imperfect, I have had to modify my posts. I plan on being imperfect in the future as well.
One of the attractions of this site is that it is not all high and mighty.

Just my 2 Cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom