OT - How does Reputation work? (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 17:53
Ooo, I forgot about that tiny problem. Too bad, because I'm sure that 90% of points given were from newbies and thus were gray because their snots are still too wet on their nose. Had it been green, I'm sure we'd see a better indication of how helpful members were.

Maybe...or it might create a new industry in China. I'm sure there's a market for inflated rep. I can see the new spam now: "Bye 1000 rep points on Access Wurld fourums, only $5.00".

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:53
Yeah, I'm not sure how many you have to do to be able to do it again. It also may have some time frame involved. Unfortunately I don't have access to that part of the website configuration to check. Sorry. But, if it is any consolation to anyone, I usually get about 50 to 75 reps added to any of the ones I actually get points for. So, if your rate is any better, then count yourself lucky. :)

Local time
I'm just wondering, what does a "green light" on the "Latest Reputation Received" list mean?

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:53
I'm just wondering, what does a "green light" on the "Latest Reputation Received" list mean?

positive feedback from someone who has enough posts and/or time on board to actually award points. The gray is from someone who cannot give points, just comments. And red is if someone who can give points gives you bad feedback, it reduces your points.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 23:53
Hey

What I would like to see is WHO gives the points?? Sometimes I get the feeling from the reactions attached to the points that it was not the person I directly helped but someone else.

Seeing who adds to your reputation can be worth while.... Not that the whole rep thing is that "valuable" IMHO, eventho it is a nice feature :)

Many of the reps I have given have been as a result of sifting through relevant threads. I figure if someone helps you, even if they don't realise it, it's always nice to say "thank you". :)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I recently got a rep from Rich, it would have been worth a whole stack of points a few months ago but he is now a newbie having only joined in August so it was worth zilch, pointwise. A whole load of crap this rep thingie, mind you it would have been anyway as it was for a 'cooler post, but then I've been saying this for a while so I'll shut up now.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I recently got a rep from Rich, it would have been worth a whole stack of points a few months ago but he is now a newbie having only joined in August so it was worth zilch, pointwise. A whole load of crap this rep thingie, mind you it would have been anyway as it was for a 'cooler post, but then I've been saying this for a while so I'll shut up now.

Brian
I agree Brian. It seems pointless that the people who are most likely to ask for help are unable to give rep in any meaningful way.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time

Brian

I also agree... I've got more grey rep than green rep.

Also when a new person joins and you mouse over their green box in the top right it says "this person is on a distinguised road" but it says the same for me? It seems strange to be at the same level even though the new person has only posted 1 question.

Last edited:
Local time
Also when a new person joins and you mouse over their green box in the top right it says "this person is on a distinguised road" but it says the same for me?

Yours reads, "will become famous soon enough", which is the default for 50 points or more.

Since noobs aren't able to give points, I occasionally read through some posts and give out rep when I see a great answer to a noob. If it weren't for people doing that, none of us would have as many points as we do.

Alas, I don't have enough time to do that for everyone and I actually maxed out my daily limit once recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom