noob forum (1 Viewer)

Dustoff187

Local time
Today, 03:17
MS Access 2003 - Grey Screen?

I recently completed the finishing touches on a database. Database resides on my physical hd. I then emailed an employee that will be completing the data entry the database that I was working on.

I then attempted to open the file again and all I get is a grey'd out screen and all my work seems to have been lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
I hate to tell you this but the signs are that Microsoft are encouraging VBA developers to look at .net Link

I hope not, I just started learning VBA.

I’m sorry, but this article is about something called “normalization”

I meant a sticky on “normalisation”

I actually laughed out loud at this. Thank you.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Re: MS Access 2003 - Grey Screen?

I recently completed the finishing touches on a database. Database resides on my physical hd. I then emailed an employee that will be completing the data entry the database that I was working on.

I then attempted to open the file again and all I get is a grey'd out screen and all my work seems to have been lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I dont know whether to laugh at this guy, or laugh at myself for posting in a thread that is a year old.
:p

KenHigg

Local time
You keep blinking... Maybe something was in your eyes...:p

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 00:17
FWIW,

I think there's quite a wall of separation between the articles, faqs and the actual posts. I don't think many people even know of articles that exists on this site and IINM, they're not referenced from this board directly so when a kid comes here, all he see is a bunch of posts rambling about a problem that is not His™ or Her™ problem at all.

There's only a link on the navigation bar which points to generic vBulletin FAQ, but not the FAQ forum, which is further down the screen.

So, the way I see it is more of an issue of mapping and explicitly referencing the articles and FAQs among with vBulletin, which I'm pretty sure can be done using the same layout. With a better layout, everyone will be able to find the FAQ® a bit easily.

Banana

Local time
The below code are for illustrative purposes. Actual syntaxes may differ.

VBA's fugly error handling:
Code:
Private Sub foo()

Dim bar As Variant
Dim baz As Object
Dim iter As String

On Error Goto geewhiz

bar= 1/0

With baz
End With

iter=Null

ExitSub:

Set baz = Nothing

Exit Sub

geewhiz:

Select Case Err.Number
   Case 11
      Msgbox "You just did a stupid thing."
      Resume Next
   Case 91
      Msgbox "You schmuck. You didn't set the object variable."
      Set baz = New Object
      Resume
   Case Else
      Msgbox "You've got me beaten. I give up."
      Goto ExitSub
End Select

End Sub

Try/Catch in VBA.NET
Code:
Private Sub foo()

Dim bar As Variant
Dim baz As Object
Dim iter As String

Try
   bar = 1/0

With baz
   End With

iter = Null

Catch ex As DivisionByZeroException
   Return 0
Catch ex As ObjectNotSetException
   Set bar = New Object
Catch ex As NullException
   Return ""
Catch ex As Exception
   Messagebox "Okay, I'm stumped now."

Finally
   Set baz = Nothing

End Try

End Sub

And here's a cheeseburger!

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 08:17
I hate to tell you this but the signs are that Microsoft are encouraging VBA developers to look at .net Link

Are companies really going to buy visual studio licenses just to extend vba? It might be tempting for people who make a living developing VBA but despite the size of the company I work for, >60,000 employees, I wouldn't ever see them paying for VS licenses for people who work with VBA.

Banana

Local time
Oh, yeah, it does have lot of FAQs.

It's just not immediately clear and there are two different FAQs; one on navigation bar which takes you to vBulletin FAQ (big whoopee), and a forum for FAQ, which you need scroll when you're viewing the page that lists all forums (e.g. General, Forms, Queries, Reports... Access FAQS).

AngelaP

Registered User.
Local time
It might be an idea to have a noob forum where newbies like me don't feel like an idiot for asking simple questions.

I agree with that! I am new and I am already lost!

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:17
I think the problem with a noobies forum would be just that - it might well end up being frequented only by noobies or kind-hearted people who want to help noobies.

At least with the current system, it's fairly obvious where to post your question most of the time, and you know what kind of things to expect when looking in a particular forum - eg stuff on queries in the queries forum, stuff on reports in reports forum etc.

A noobies forum would end up as a "free for all" with topics on all questions, which doesn't help others who might be looking for the answer to a question on queries in the "queries" forum, when the answer is in the "noobies" forum. This would rely on the search system which isn't always that wonderful ;)

Just my opinion, feel free to shoot me down in flames (bearing in mind I too am a noobie and I can figure out the system just about!)

Ruth

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom