This site is getting dog slow... (1 Viewer)

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:16
I finally hit a slow time. Not sure if this will help or not, but shows 118 users active.

The main forum page is just moderately slow. Sub forums are slower. And search doesn't seem to be working ( waited in excess of 5 minutes ).

I'm not complaining as the info and help out weigh any issues of taking up some of my spare time. I'll still check back just might not be during a slow time.

It's almost like a flashback of my dial up days, lol. I was in the same boat as a couple of others here and had no other option to dial up till wireless broadband. It's not blazing fast but moving from 2k to 150k downloads ( even threw a router ) is a dramatic increase. Never having anything faster I don't know what I'm missing so don't complain.

I did find out you have to kind of test broadband cards a bit. There is one cell provider that has 90% or better up time at my home, but there broadband was slower than a tether threw the cell. My broadband carriers cell service is less than 20% usability in home. I'm not sure if this is based on the actual card or the service as my cell provider doesn't offer a novatel usb card. I am reasonably sure though it's the service its self though that is different.

I have no problems with my broadband when used on job locations. While my cell's web browser is about the same rate as there wireless card was. The kicker is according to service maps I am not suppose to even have service with my card at home.

The first week of use instead of staying up every night till 4am on the net doing my daily surfing I got bored. I had seen the internet and had to start over!!!!

The moral of the story is I'll be back and hope the people who make forums as this one good to the end user don't give up because of lag. Most of us really do appreciate the assistance yall share with us.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:16
I've made some changes to speed up the site. Has anyone noticed any difference?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:16

When were the changes implimented? I was having database errors yesterday.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, but the database errors issue is a hosting problem. Currently going through some agonising decisions!

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 05:16
WEll between 12-2 UK time - it was really slow - my toenails grow faster ....
it does seem to be at odds times -Now at 20.00 hours UK time - its fine
I added the times to see if this pin pointed it out - is there a rush on the server at this time - with people surfing etc

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time

Around 7:30 am EST I cant log in to the site. I get timeouts until around 8:30am.. after that, it seems OK. Better than it has been.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, but the database errors issue is a hosting problem. Currently going through some agonising decisions!

I can imagine. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've contacted my host and they said they run their backups around now. Support said there was a large file that might have been causing a problem so they removed it. At least now I can get on here to post this message. Will monitor the situation.

Lets hope the problem is fixed from now on!

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
I've contacted my host and they said they run their backups around now. Support said there was a large file that might have been causing a problem so they removed it. At least now I can get on here to post this message. Will monitor the situation.

Lets hope the problem is fixed from now on!

Yeah! I was able to get on this morning! Thanks for that Jon.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry to say it isn't fixed Jon, I've never known the site so slow on a Saturday and it can't be due to the number of users on line

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I haven't had any problems as yet today. When was this Rich?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I haven't had any problems as yet today. When was this Rich?
It was perfect before lunchtime, then replying to any post here etc just became impossible, it's cleared up again now, so I guess it's around noon:confused:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, well my host said they do backups around the 11am GMT. Will keep an eye on it over the next week.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Hmm, well my host said they do backups around the 11am GMT. Will keep an eye on it over the next week.

I think that would tie in with when the problems appear during the week too

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Makes sense.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:16

Maybe doing backups on a UK site at 11 am isnt the smartest thing to do... Then perhaps the host is on 11 pm at the time?

Still a hosting service should take the hosted sites into consideration when planning to do backups/maintenance etc.... One would think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom