Sending Text Message (1 Viewer)

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:16
Advice is sort. I am happy about sending emails to clients, using a word document , for the content of the email, linked to a Query as the Data source .
The requirement now is send a short standard text message via SMS.textapp.net . My initial thought is to create a function. Example
#strSubject = "change of status"
strEmailAddress = rst![ClientEmail@sms.textapp.net]
ccto = ""
bccto = ""

strEMailMsg = " Client Number " & " " & rst![ClientNumber] _
& Chr(10) & " clientName " & " " & rst![ClientName] _
& Chr(10) & " " _
& Chr(10) & " The current record's status has changed to " & rst![Status]#

The above is just an example and I would like any input as to best way to achieve my objective .

Regards Ypma

I have entered this post under general, if this is misleading would a moderator move it to the appropriate section

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
MS used to have an SMS message utility but it has long since been withdrawn.
You will need to choose a provider for this. I use Twilio for this. Their rates are in my view reasonable, the API documentation and support are both very good.
Suggest you read this thread as a starting point and any links mentioned including a useful document linking Twilio and Access / Excel.
See https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=291805&highlight=Twilio

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It was a few years ago so I'm not 100% sure if you can still do it this way but with Textmagic you could send an email to the textmagic service and it would forward it for you as a text message. I quite like this method of sending SMS messages. It's a distinct advantage, especially if you are already have your database setup to send email.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just had a look and it looks like textmagic are still offering the service where you can send an email and then have that forwarded as SMS. You can also have it forwarded to multiple recipients. Have a look at this webpage for further details:-

https://www.textmagic.com/email-to-sms/

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The point is that sms is not free. You have to use a third party provider to send the text to the mobile phone, so you need to compose the message in the format the 3rd party provider require.

There may be a "free" service from your own mobile. (although you are then using your own mobile contract). My new phone keeps telling me I can send texts from my PC ....

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to all of you who replied to my request for the suggestions and ideas I will in due course check out the various links provided.

Isladogs . My example of the to addressee was incorrect
it should have Been To rst![Phonenumber@sms.textapp.net] "Obtain from the Query I would use as a data source .My user informs me that me that he currently is using .textapp.net for Emails. Are you suggesting that this is a non starter for Text Messages ,which would be sent to the clients Phone. I value your input in this matter as I don't wish to flog a "dead horse"

Regards Ypma

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I setup my SMS messaging utility over two years ago.
I only briefly looked into using email to SMS conversion so haven't tested it properly.
The costs are much the same s using an API to send the SMS directly.
Possibly less code but not necessarily easier or better, especially if you need bulk messages sending.
Sorry but I know nothing about textapp.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom